Air in system and Old Facet Fuel Pump ?s

Previous topic - Next topic

RV61

This past weekend as leaving the dock and heading out into a busy channel the engine RPMs dropped as well as power and then  engine quit. Threw anchor put up flag and went to work. Fuel pump was clicking and I assumed for the moment it was working. opened bleed screw for a couple minutes and she fired right up as usual and no issues balance of the weekend motoring a couple hours after some great sailing.  However I need to check everything out. I suspect got some air in the system. After a fairly rough ride last time out I checked the Dahl filter bowl for contamination by loosening nut on bottom and it was clean. Can air enter by doing this? I have done this way for years and no issue. I will check the filter gaskets and make sure seated properly. All line appear in good condition as I have relaced all in past 4 years and removed screen on end of pickup tube. I change the primary and secondary filters regularly and use a biocide and Seton booster.  After reading more here I understand that my old clicking facet fuel pump has a screen in it? If so where would I find it thus I can check it.   I also think that if I had bad fuel I would see it as well as the condition would have persisted especially after the sail. I have a little less than half tank of fuel and will check to be sure pickup tube is on the bottom of the tank. What else should I check for air coming into system or fuel starvation?   Thanks for any feedback
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Craig Illman

Rick - Look at this link: http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200142-39&model=M-25%20/%20M-25XP%20/%20M-25XPA&manufacturer=Universal&title=Fuel%20Filter%20Group&quant_position=&catalog=200142&printparts=200142&printservice=200151&printoperators=200157&comment1=

It shows the filter in the Facet pump. Is your Facet pump before or after your Dahl filter? It sounds like after, so it's unlikely it's filter was clogged. Seems like if you did introduce air when you checked the filter it would have impacted things much sooner, like shortly after you started your engine. I've seen recommended on the forum to leave the bleed screw always open a bit to circulate fuel a little more.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Here's the link to the fuel pump with photos:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

The bottom of the old Facet simply screws right off using the nut on the bottom of the housing.  Have some absorbent pads at the ready.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."