Fuel fill hose length

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

I want to replace my fuel fill hose when I replace my filler cap. I just got home from a two week cruise and didn't want to tear open the fuel tank access to measure when I got back this afternoon. At about $7/ft, I don't want to go much over or worse yet, under length. Does anyone have that length offhand? Seems like it shouldn't be more than three feet.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Don't have the measurements, but here's a picture of what the hoses do on hull #451.  You may be able to do some scaling from the picture and get a better feel for the lengths.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Stu - Thanks for the picture! I forgot the hose came in the aft end like that. I'm at about 3/4 tank. I may need to use it a bit more. Looks like four feet should do it. When it costs me $20 in gas to drive to the boat, a extra foot of hose is cheap insurance.

Craig

Steve Hansen

Craig

Just checked my records and 4 feet of fuel fill hose when I replaced mine was enough.

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Craig Illman

Steve, thanks, I knew someone must have already done it!

Craig

Craig Illman

On my 1991, hull #1150, the hose length was 37". The replacement fill from Catalina Direct isn't going to work for me. The drilled deck hole is about 2 3/16", the same as the hole diameter on the SeaDog replacement deck fill. I had to get a "pipe deck fill" and a 1.5" bronze tail piece from our great local chandelry, Fisheries Supply.

Thanks to Ron Hill for an offline note about pushing up the old fill from below to break the caulk seal, instead of prying from deck level. (that tip was also in a past forum thread).

Craig

Craig Illman

One little follow on mention. I installed a Racor Lifeguard Fuel/Air separator when I installed the new fuel fill. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302335|107095|699530&id=133927

I had to a chance to try it out when I topped off the tank this morning and it works just as well as advertised. Nothing came out of the vent and I was able to top off the tank without worrying about an accidental spill.

Craig