Main sheet

Previous topic - Next topic

dbpaul

Hey Stu
When your boom is all the way out and against the shroud lines how much sheet line is hanging past the rope clutch back into the cockpit.
I have 28 feet.....am I missing something.

paulj

Stu Jackson

One of the POs could well have removed one of the mainsheet blocks that was OEM nearest the mast, thus "providing" "extra" mainsheet line at the tail end.  Gee, if you have "extra" line you're not "missing" anything.  Think of the issue you'd have if it was too short! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

I replaced my main sheet yesterday.   I have about 2 inches sticking out of the rope clutch when the boom is against the shrouds.   No reason not to cut off the extra 28 feet and stop tripping over it.  Or is it serving as a spare for a halyard?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

One seems too much; the other too little.  Paul, I don't think eliminating that final block gooseneck would add much more than two feet.  Could be that your PO was generous, or it could be that you're down a bit in purchase (i.e., missing a couple of blocks in the running rigging).  There should be three blocks (sans the gooseneck one) on the boom.  If it feels right, then you're fine.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA