teak to stainless eyebrow ?

Previous topic - Next topic

RV61

I have searched and found much discussion on the eyebrow that runs along the cabin top. The maintenance on these is taking to much sail time. I would like to replace with a strip of polished stainless steel to match my chrome dorades and the newer polished stainless portlights. Looking for a source.  Any thought much appreciated.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

lucky

I replaced mine with 1 inch green stripping tape.
Al
Lucky  Hull#13

Ron Hill

Rick : I took mine off over 10 years ago.  I filled the holes with caulk, #4 screws and #4 finishing washers.  The teak strips are redone and in the attic - if the next owner of APACHE wants to put them back on!! 
A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

RV61

Lucky and Ron,
Thanks for the responses. Ron I had read your fix on previous thread and that is direction I may go as it is a good alternative  however before I go that route I would like to see if I can find a vendor who can provide a polished stainless steel strip to replace the teak. Anyone can you recommend perhaps an automotive or RV aftermarket  supplier or fabricator.
Thanks again 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Jon Schneider

I would think a local machine shop might be the best way to go, given their length and the difficulty in shipping, not to mention the desire to be able to re-work them as necessary for fit and finish.  That said, I would contact Tops in Quality (topsinquality.com) if you want a national source.  BTW, did you consider simply removing the strip and glassing in the holes to match the boat?  I would think a good fiberglass guy would cost you about the same or possibly less than having the eyebrows fabricated.  Will you -or have you already- be replacing the handrails with SS?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Rick : Jon has a solution, but when you find out the cost $$$ of a couple of 16 or 18 ft pieces of stainless you may take my original suggestion!!
A thought, when you consider that you can't see them when you're behind the wheel !!!
Ron, Apache #788