distance to spreaders on tall rig

Previous topic - Next topic

seanmcelligott

Does anybody know the distance from the deck to the spreaders on a 1988 Mark I Tall Mast?  I have to install lazy jack eyes exactly 27 feet above the boom and would rather not drag a tape measure all the way from the boom. 
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Jon Schneider

Sean, the only thing that require exactitude is baking and cold fusion.  I wouldn't sweat the precise measurement.  That said, why not just measure however you're being lifted aloft.  For example, if you're being lifted via the main halyard, just have the wincher measure the tail when you think you've gotten to about 27' above the boom (obviously subtracting the length of the tail when the halyard is at the boom).  The other thing you can do if you don't like that idea, is pre-measure 27' of string.  When you get near the target height just let it drop and use it as a light-weight guide.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Sean, use the manual - there's a page with the standing rigging and mast sections with dimensions
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Sean : Look in Projects and you'll see that I installed lazyjacks with out a eye or drilling a hole in the mast!!  A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

seanmcelligott

Thanks for the advice, you guys are the best.  I ended up picking the height for my lazy jacks by ascending the mast and stopping and drilling when I became scared s---less.  This was about 4 feet above the spreaders.  I climed a halyard with some moutaineering equipment (petzl ascenders) after a lot of research on different methods.  It was fun and the young kids at the marina thought I was pretty cool, but I was very sore in the morning.  The lazy jacks are part of a mack pack system, I will post a pic when done.
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Ted Pounds

Sean,
I think the ascenders work great.  I'm not sure how you rigged yours, but for mine I had one attached to a West Marine soft bosun's chair and the other to a pair of web foot stirrups.   Similar to the "Top Climber" rig from ATN.  I found it easy to go all the way to the top.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447