spot trak satellite messenger

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Has anyone seen any good articles on the use of the Spot Trak Satellite GPS units?  We are headed for the Abacos for a few weeks in early June and I was thinking it might be a decent alternative to an EPIRB.  In addition to the emergency function the tracking and "I am ok" email message capability seems like a nice feature especially for the price.  I know the emergency feature does not go straight to the Coast Guard like an EPIRB but the service claims a quick emergency response which in the case of a problem at sea would end up getting quickly to the CG including the location.  Might still borrow/rent an EPIRB but am interested in folk's thoughts.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

Joe 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jon Schneider

Here's what a C36er had to say about it on the C36 list.  BTW, Peter quotes costs at WM.  Both Defender and Amazon sell the unit for $10-$15 less. 

=====================================================================
We just purchased a SPOT at West Marine and tested it out today. It's a real bargain.

CONSIDER THIS ONE SERIOUSLY!

This is a great device for letting people know where you are and for sending out an emergency signal.

The SPOT is a hand held device a tad bigger than a folded cell phone.

Here are the basics of how it works:

SPOT receives the signals from the GPS satellites and calculates your position. It can then transmit a message up to a commercial satellite.  From there, the messages is transmitted down to a ground station. When the ground station receives a message, it creates an email and sends it out on the Internet or to a cell phone with SMS. You can specific the wording of a short message and send it to multiple email addresses.

There are three types of messages you can trigger on the SPOT device by pushing one of the buttons on the unit:

1. Check In/OK: This message is sent to people who you want to know where you are and that you are OK. The message is sent to the one or more email recipients you specify.

2. HELP: Message sent for non life threatening situations where you need assistance. The message is sent to the email recipients you specify (which can be different from the Check/ In emails).

3. 911: The ground station receives these messages and alerts the appropriate emergency facility (like the US Coast Guard if you are at sea) to give assistance. Emails are also send to the recipients of Check In and Help.

You do need to sign on the Internet to specify the message text and identify the recipients and to make any changes.

The device has two AA lithium batteries giving enough power for sending out 911 messages every 5 minutes for 14 days or 1900 Check In messages.

Coverage is world wide (land and sea) except for South Africa, southern Atlantic, mid-Pacific, Indian oceans and the polar regions.

Basic cost is only $150 for the unit. You need to subscribe at $99.95 for a years service. Add $50 for an optional GPS tracking feature that works with Google Earth. Add $8 (at time of purchase only) for up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits – underwritten by Lloyd's of London – for any emergency service expenses incurred.

Compare this price to: $2300 for a satellite cell phone (no GPS), $245 personal ERIPB (no GPS and 24 hr battery life), $900+++ ERIPB with GPS 48 hr life $900, etc.

SPOT is truly affordable!

It is totally self contained. Take if with you if you need to abandon your boat and get into the dingy or worse ... into the drink.

VHF/DCS may be great but if your vessels goes down, you loose power to the VHF. And VHF has limited range. A handheld in the dingy gets what? A couple of miles at best?

Here is a sample of a Check In email message I sent to myself trying it out in my back yard:
---------------------------
Subject:  OK ESN:0-7380551
Checkin for Peter and Ann White. All OK.
ESN:0-7380551
Latitude:29.9737
Longitude:-81.4881
Nearest Location: Elwood, United States
Distance: 6 km(s)
Time:04/16/2008 17:10:27 (US/Eastern)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=29.9737,-81.4881&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
----------------------------

The plot on Google Earth is within 36' (a boat length) of where I held SPOT.

If you venture out in a boat of any kind, consider this unit seriously.

Checkout www.FindMeSpot.com

Our local West Marine was out of stock but fortunately, they got in a few today. They sell out fast. We got ours just in time for our departure for the Bahamas when it warms up.

Peter
#1477 Rhapsody
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Kern

Thanks Jon.  I have seen it for about $140 on line.  That plus the annual fee still makes it a bargain compared to an EPIRB.   Obviously all the other features (tracking, I am ok messages) are a real plus.  If I knew that when I pushed the emergency button the CG would roll almost as fast (after contact from the company) and could track me I would think it would beat a GPS Epirb at about a 1/4 of the price.  Hate to find out I was wrong about the emergency part 100 miles off shore though.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jon Schneider

Joe, you should probably check the Amazon customer reviews for the product.  Of course, you can never tell what ulterior motives people have for posting such reviews, but I think you'll find they're pretty balanced.  My sense is that one of the big drawbacks is an apparent lack of consistency in satellite connectivity, but that seems to come from people who are walking into canopied woods, so perhaps it's a non-issue for us sailors.  As I read the reviews on Amazon, I walked away with the sense that this is a "casual" safety product.  I think if you're concerned about being rescued in blue water, you might only have this as a back-up to real EPIRB.  The review I posted by Peter White of the C36 org list might also seem suspicious, since it's so glowing and informative, but, while I don't know Peter personally, he is a frequent and helpful contributer to the C36 list, so I think you can trust his initial experience... as much as you can trust anyone else's advice. 

Personally, I'm still on the fence about buying this product, but that's mostly because I'm not sure I want my wife knowing exactly where I'm sailing to or from all the time ;)  Plus, since she doesn't really use her cell phone nor check email very frequently, I think my "I'm okay" or "I'm in deep do-do" messages would be read at some point after my funeral.   
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Kern

Yes, Jon.  I had read those and lots of others on-line and the only "reception" problems complained of seem to be from people who had nothing near open sky.  What it comes down to it for me it is the confidence I have or don't have in the monitoriiung network and what they do when you press the 911 button and instead of relying on family I am relying on them.

I laughed at your "tracking" comment.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe Kern

I went ahead and bought one of these a few weeks ago and have been testing it out.  We are headed to the Abacos for a a couple of weeks early June and I wanted to see how it would work.  Can't test the 911 feature but both the "I am ok" messages and the tracking feature work well.  Since I bought it they have added a much easier feature to allow others to access the message and tracking information through a shared website which you can make public or private.  Before the only way to allow others to access the tracking information was to give them access to the website account you used for setting it up. 

So far seems pretty cool with no reception or other problems.  As long as it has a relatively clear view to the sky it sends the signals.  If you are interested in seeing what the tracking info looks like feel free to take a look at the shared public website I created through their website.  I have had the device on the dash in my car since last night.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0bxkl83ElKLRiZj5GIeJeMuS96AGuhETm

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jon Schneider

That's really quite awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  It actually seems like a decent substitute for Lojack as well. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Kern

I will let folks know when we head out to the Abacos in case anyone wants to see it in action in some bluewater for a week or two.  Perhaps I should wear it when we hit the bars on Green Turtle Cay so I can access the website and find my way back to the boat.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

daniel

Hi!
Just got my two SPOT devices - i ordered them in the US as they charge you a 199 Euros in european stores for the satellite messenger. I'm just testing it now - but till now just tested it on land. So far i can say, that it seems that it really needs perfect conditions to work as expected. I really hope that it works better when on sea. But I have to wait 6 more weeks for my next sailingtrip. I found already a nice sailing blog site which supports the SPOT satellite messenger. It's called Tripsailor.com - here is the anouncement: http://blog.tripsailor.com/ . I just found it when searching for sailors with SPOT experience. I'll try it for my next trip. I'll keep you updated about my experience with the SPOT device.

Regards,
Daniel (a new SPOT user)

Joe Kern

We are leaving Saturday for a trip from Merritt Island down to West Palm and then to the Abacos in the Bahamas.  Feel free to check in on  our progress on http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0bxkl83ElKLRiZj5GIeJeMuS96AGuhETm

We will see how well it does.  I plan on mounting on the front of our binnacle as long as it is not blocked by the bimini.  Otherwise I may just attach to the top of the dodger.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe Kern

Well, this one will be my last post before we head to the boat tomorrow for the trip to the Abacos.

Satellite tracker will stay on (see the post below for the tracking website) and I will have a review of how it worked when I get back.  Hopefully will not be providing any review of the 911 feature.

Also bought one of the Lite Propane Bottles to replace my metal one with the bad valve.   Fits nicely in the propane locker and hopefully will not give us any problems.  I will let folks know if it does.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ray & Sandy Erps

Cool!

I think SPOT found a nice niche for this product and as world wide coverage increases seems a pretty reasonable alternative for those of us cruising on a budget.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Roger Blake

In case your interested, Joe and company made it to the Bahamas (at least according to spot tracker). :clap
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Jon Schneider

What's particularly interesting is the custom note in their last two entries (presumably upon arrival) that "you got this message from Joe and Sherry because they pressed the ok button on their spot personal messenger."  That's incredibly comforting.  I was going to say something a bit skeptical, like we really only know that the Spot device arrived in Bermuda, but that message confirms that they -well someone- are alive and well.  Cool beans.  Damn, I wish I were there ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Kern

Ok...gang...free wireless at West End and I had to check the Spot trak and then this website..... sold on this device!!!   Family and friends are now all breathing a sigh of relief that they only would have got if we called and that was only if the cells worked.   Buddy tracked us all day and since he had made the trip before knew we were riding the right course on the gulftstream.  1-2 feet of waves even in 2000 feet of water...motorsailed the last 6 hours at 7.5 knots....just had my first Kailk gold and tmw we leave for Great Sale anchorage.   All is well.   Biggest adventure so far was docking in a 3 knot cross current in West Palm....no such things in central Florida so it was an adventure...not sure how you guys who deal with it all the time make it work.

Will try and update along the way, but as you can see the Spot Trak really works.   I might become a spokesman if I knew the emerbecny featire worked as well..hopefully won't find out.

More to come for those who care.   Jon the "OK" message goes on the tracking page but also gets sent to up to 10 email/cellphone text people we choose.  very cool.

By the way we are the biggest sailboat of 3 in the marina...rest of the boats are between 3 and 6 million dollar yachts....feels like we are just a tender for them.

Joe

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl