Impeller Paper Gasket Question

Previous topic - Next topic

ssk

When replacing the paper gasket on the Westerbeke impeller, is it appropriate to lube it with oil or Vaseline or water or do it dry..  I have been given all three suggestions by the 9 Catalina owners at my dock  The paper stuff doesn't seem to hold up very well and deteriorates long before the impeller needs to be changed out.  Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Price

I placed mine on dry and they  have has been working for over 6 years with two impeller / gasket changes during that time with no leaks ever.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jeff Kaplan

sid, what you might consider doing, and what i do , is to first apply a very thin coat of blue silicone gasket compound to the block, than apply the gasket, put a thin coat of blue silicone to the housing and put back together. this will ensure a water tight seal, prolong the gasket and is very easy to break apart. just make sure the housing and block are scraped clean prior to install. a tube of blue silicone, permatex is one, should be in every tool box...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Sid : You shouldn't need any sealant for that gasket - leave it dry. 
What you might want to do is take the face plate and put it on some wet/dry #400 sand paper, and on a flat surface circularly make sure that it's smooth.  Also make sure that the face of the pump body (that the plate screws into) is also smooth.
I think that I probably get a couple of years out of one of those thin gaskets.  Just be very careful when you remove the face plate.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

sid, as i have been dealing with diesel mechanics for the bulk of my working career, i noticed that they all use a thin coating of silicone when applying a new gasket. yes, you don't need to use any sealant, but a very thin smear will hold the gasket in place and insure a sealed fit and  the removal is very easy. for what its worth...jeff

Ron Hill

Sid : Try Jeffs' suggestion. 
My Oberdoffer has operated fine with nothing on the paper gasket and this will be it's 21st season!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

The pump is either a Sherwood or Oberdorfer. The Sherwoods have a rubber o-ring that is not suppose to see any sealant and does not need it. The rubber should last many seasons in my experience.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jeff Kaplan

cliff, if sid had stated that his pump used an o-ring, than i never would have mentioned using a thin film of silicone to hold the gasket in place. with paper or fiber gaskets, silicone can be used or doesn't have to be. with a rubber o-ring, you don't...jeff

ssk

Thanks guys.
The engine is an M-35 with an Oberdorfer impeller.
The kits come from Universal with an impeller, snap ring/O ring, and paper gasket.
I replaced both, tried it dry this time. 
Thanks for the help.