Bottom Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I applied a good coat of Pettit Ultima SR ablative bottom paint last year before launch (two coats in high friction areas such as bow) .  The bottom is in very good shape this year with only a couple of spots showing any need for touch up.  For the most part it looks as if I just applied a fresh coat even though the boat has been through a season on a mooring a 5 months on the hard.  Any reason to paint the whole bottom again or should I simply buy a quart, touch up the few spots that need some attention and call it a day and splash?  Also, the one thing that definately needs attention is my prop; it is covered with barnicles.  What kind of preparation can i do with the prop to minimize the barnicle growth?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Allan.SVCarina

Try Petit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier for the prop.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=120
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ken Juul

Just be careful with paint on the prop.  Too much is not good.  PO had so many coats on mine that it lost effectiveness.  Also follow the manufactures directions.  Most metals need a primer suited to the paint type so the paint will stick.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

David Arnold

Thanks for the suggestions on the prop.  Sounds like a plan!!!

Now, as for the bottom paint; touch up or re-paint the entire bottom?  Any thoughts?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

BillG

I used the Petit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrrier last year and was amazed how well it worked.  Sprayed 3 light coats on both the prop and shaft, tho I taped off a small section to attach the zinc to the shaft.  After 5 months in the water, there were perhaps 5 or 6 barnacles on both the shaft and prop.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

canuck

I'd call the Petit customer service line. Phone number available on their web site.
Has worked for me. Why not talk to the experts!

Ron Hill

Dave : Just touch up the bottom paint.  I always go at least 2 years between ablative paint jobs.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Roger Blake

Last year I just did a touch up job. Was fine...but didn't look "nice". This year I'm stripping all the way down to the barrier coat, painting on a hard coat, then 2 ablative coats. It's been about 6yrs since I last stripped it down...I'm doing it again because I there are too many paint layers and was beginning to "chip" too much.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

David Arnold

I went into WM today to purchase bottom paint and the Petit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrrier.  The clerk had never heard of the barnacle barrier but ordered it for me.  He was very excited as he gets lots of requests for such a product but was unaware one existed.  What a great forum this is to spread valuable info!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707