Cockpit sheet Bags

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimlad

Anyone know where to obtain new sheet bags for the C34?  Mine are old, dingy and ripped.  They are 500mm by 500mm with three fastenings to the bulkhead.  Can't seem to find the same bags anywhere.  Most of the new bags only have two fastenings.
Dave Wright
KRYPTONITE, Sydney, Australia
Hull no: 1620
Yr: 2002
Std rig, fin keel

Jon Schneider

I imagine you've thought of this already, but I'm sure that any canvas maker would be happy to replicate the ones you have.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

We originally had sheet bags, but finally discovered that it was cleaner, neater and easier to do this:

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

I am not surprised Stu's lines look all shipshape.   :D

I like my cockpit bags.  Keep the lines out of the way and offer a somewhat soft place to lean against.

The dealer I bought the boat from told me that if I just push the lines down in the bags they will work fine and will come out neatly.  He said if I try and neatly coil the lines and place them in the bags they will get tangled.  Not sure why, but he is right.  Every time.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Rick Johnson

Have you tried Jo at standoutyachtfittings.com?  I'm happy with her price and workmanship.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

David Urscheler

Our local WM in Coconut Grove (which has an exstensive sailing department)has just started stocking several versions of sheet bags in different sizes. Some even have winch holder pockets. At around fifty bucks, they're not cheap but seem well made.

Mike Denest

Our boat is set up similar to Stu's.  In fact, we have neat little hangers with bungee cords to loop around the coil of line.  However, the Captain has other thoughts.... :roll:
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Dave : If you still want to uses "sheet bags" for your lines either make them yourself, or have any canvas shop make some new ones for you. 
It's really not that hard a task.  You already have the pattern!!  :D
Ron, Apache #788

Michael

Jimlad - In case you haven't found your new sheet bags yet....after a long hunt last summer, and even thinking about sewing my own as Ron suggests, I saw beautiful bags aboard a new Catalina 36.  Our local Catalina dealer put me onto Catalina parts, where I had a nice telephone conversation with Robert Butler, and the new bags arrived in Vancouver a few days later.  They are great.
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

Jimlad

Thanks for the infomation everyone.  I went the easy but expensive(ish) option and called robert butler at Catalina spare parts and got some new bags shipped!  (Am looking at the Tides Marine mast track system now to improve mainsail handling - looks like the way to go.  I will report progress)
Dave Wright
KRYPTONITE, Sydney, Australia
Hull no: 1620
Yr: 2002
Std rig, fin keel

dave davis

NY OLD BAGS WERE FALLING APART SO I REPLACED THEM WITH THE WM "SHEET BAGS" BY BLUE PERFORMANCE. SEE PAGE 1262 IN THE WM 2008 CATALOG. PART # 7882103 COST 38.49 ON SAIL EACH.
THEY ARE NICE.
GOOD LUCK, DAVE
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach