foil in Fuel tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

I am fairly certain that hasn't happened to anyone else  - I am hoping for an easy answer but don't think there is one.  Apparently the foil piece that seals bottles - the piece you are supposed to peel off and throw away -in this case a biocide ended up going down the fill pipe to my fuel tank.  I just found out about this - the tank is full for winter storage.  Short of pumping the tan empty and taking the tank out and cleaning it - sounds like a difficult job - any way to fix this? I assume I need to be concerned about this clogging up the intake hose while I am going under the bridge against current or some other difficult place.  After what I thought was all the bad luck with fuel filling - I guess I will now get the west marine funnel filter that was reccommented in practical sailor if I can find the model

Any suggestions will be appreciated....thanks
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Ken Heyman

I have occasionally gotten unwanted debris in the tank. I think you'll be fine without pumping the tank. If you haven't removed the screen at the end of the fuel pick up hose-do so per the many threads on this forum. Check and change your primary Racor filter frequently and be sure that our syustem is plumbed in the following order -tank- racor filter-electric fuel pump-engine side filter-injector pump. Again there is lots of info on the site.

Good luck & hope you're not "foiled again"(I couldn't resisit)

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ted Pounds

There is a baffle in the tank between where the filler hose connects and where the pick up tube is.   That will probably inhibit migration of the foil over to the pick-up tube.  I think ultimately you want to get it out of there, but I think you can wait till you burn off some fuel.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447