Miami Strictly Sail

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

We were in Fla for the past 5 days and when I realized we were only 40 miles from the show, we just had to trip down to it. Was lots of fun. Saw the new 375 and all the competition. The 375 has a quirkie interior with the head up front and the "dance floor" in the center. Looks sleek from the side and wide from the stern. I like the Jeaneau 39i as well; this is all in my dreams, of course. I wonder if others are really happy with the in mast furling. We had the same system that Catalina sells on a bare boat charter back in Jan and it took 3 people to operate efficiently. I suppose thats the future however.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Wayne

I bought in-mast because that probably is the future--with 8 out of 10 boats being sold with a furler, I felt that if I wanted to sell someday I would be at a real disadvantage without.  I have found the Catalina system easy to use--even when sailing alone.  I know some makers have funky (complicated) ratcheting mechanisms, but I have just the furling line and its opposing outhaul line.  Pretty easy.  And I think the offset entry on the mast greatly reduces the potential for jams.  I know I pay a price in performance, and on light air days kind of wish I had a full sail.  But on normal days, no problems.  And when arriving back at the dock I already have my sails completely put away.  Pluses and minuses, pluses and minuses . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Stu Jackson

"People who buy in mast furlers are powerboaters who have no other excuse-"

--- heard at my dock recently (not MY quote!!!)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

It's interesting to me that boom furlers haven't taken over the marketplace.  I guess to really make them comparable to the ease of in-mast furling, they need to bundled with a power winch.  Still a compromise; I guess it requires a slightly flatter sail, but at least there are standard-configured battens and a full roach.  I wonder why everyone's not jumping on the bandwagon....
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Joe Kern

Stu, the next time you hear that inquire whether the people who criticize in-mast furlers all have hank on jibs?  Probably not and probably for a lot of the same reasons.

The Jenny Jewel came with in-mast furling and I was a little embarrassed about that at first having had a Catalina 270 (and lots of smaller boats before that) with a traditional rig.  I am not a racer.  I know even as a cruiser I give up some performance with my rig, but I have come to love the ease of "raising and lowering" the main, the loose-foot and and limitless reefing ability.  For a cruising couple who actually sails almost every weekend (compared to the many boats at my marina that never seem to move) and often sails offshore, it is a safe alternative and also makes my singlehanding safer as well.  I noticed that Catalina has begun using the vertical batten in-mast on the 375 and I suspect that is a more efficient sail although with more potential problems while furling.

Like a lot of things on our boats, it is a personal choice.  Having sailed with both I would choose it again for the way we sail.  I am certain that being able to pull your sail out rather than up does not make you a powerboater.  Sitting around the dock and criticizing other sailors does make you one in my book though.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Wayne

I wonder about in boom systems, too.  If I had it to do all over again, I would look into in boom.  When the wind is really up I rationalize a bit that I already have a # 1/2 reef in my main . . .  Seriously, it is only on the light air days that I notice the power loss.  And a cruising chute solves that problem.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

David Urscheler

Also at the Miami show where Jerry Douglas confirmed (again) that the 34 is still in production. After the show, we attended the annual Latitude & Attitude party which was a great success as always. Even Jerry and Sharon Day showed up with leftovers and a couple coolers of beer from their party. Sharon announced that they will become a sponso :applr next year. Woo hoo! :clap

canuck

I am a cruiser and not a racer. Guilty as charged and by the way, I love my three blade Michigan as well!!
Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we probably motor more than we sail. Sheer terror in the winter and fall and sheer boredom in the spring and summer!
Pass the brie and chardonnay and do be careful.
Ta ta for now.

crieders

I am sort of looking at the 375 and I am not even sure that you can get a traditional rig on that boat. Another point is that Catalina designed that boat for in mast furling with the vertical battens. I suppose that the issue is light air performance but I wonder what Catalina would have to say about that. As to reefing ease, I installed a single line system lead to the cabin top and its very easy to use except, of course when the reefing lines jam up and I have to go on the cabin top in unpleasant conditions !!
Speaking of which has anyone installed the new ball bearing batt cars on fully battened full roach mains to prevent hang ups ?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, we have the old (mid-1980s) Harken batt car system and track on our boat, installed by the PO.  Fully battened main.

Priceless.

A little regular McLube Sailcote and it slides effortlessly, up and down.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Cliff,
Yes, you can get a traditional rig on the 375.  You can also get a boom furler if you want one.  Gerry Douglas has said that about 80% of the larger boats are ordered with in-mast furling recently, so that was made "standard" on the 375.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Wayne

What are 36 owners saying about the new 375?  Thumbs up?  Thumbs down?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jon Schneider

I don't think the votes have been tallied yet among C36 owners, but of course they don't really matter.  Current C36 owners are not the target of the C375.  What will matter is what current 28'-32' sailboat owners think about it. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Tree House

We have had some problems recently unfurling our mast-furled main.  The angle of the boom may be the issue so topping lift adjustments need to be done thoughtfully.  We find that one of the great advantages of the furler is infinite and simple reefing.