Light bulb for 1986 compass

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

Trying to find where I can Buy the light bulb for the compass.

Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

Doug, your compass is made by Ritchie, most likely the SP-5 binnacle mount.  West Marine's 2007 catalog, page 137, has "Accessories: Green LED & wire assembly"  Ritch#  SH-0176XSP" for $10.99. 

Our 1986 compass has a red light.  Red LEDs also appear to be available, on page 138, SH-0174-XSP.

You could get in touch with Ritchie, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdolphin

Thanks Stu good resource.  I figured out something before I read your e-mail.  I went to a light bulb store and got the same one for $1.95 and then took a Red sharpie to the outside of the bulb and it worked great.
Doug and Donna #171

Ron Hill

Doug : Your success may be short lived!! 
I've found that paint and coloring on a bulb surface will eventually fade out.  What you need to get is a colored glass so the light stays the same color over time.  An LED is your best bet!!  A thought.   :wink:

Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

Just an FYI:
I returned my compass to ritchie last winter, as I noticed that a seal had fatigued and leaked the oil out of the bubble.

For $186, I got back a virtually NEW compass.  They did a fantastic job.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Bob Kuba

I also had my compass rebuilt by an authorized Ritchie repair shop.
One item the repairman mentioned involved winter storage in colder climates like Chicago.
He said that the compass should always be removed from the boat and stored indoors.

Storing the compass outdoors will allow the extreme cold to contract the compass fluid, thereby creating a vacuum effect and sucking air into the housing through the seals and causing a bubble. Of course when it warms back up, the fluid will expand and force the air back out again. But now the seal has been compromised and will eventually leak and fail later on. But not until you need it most.

Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Mert Gollaher

Another FYI - The 1986 Ritchie SP-5 compass from my 1987 boat developed a crack in the dome along its equator.  Ritchie quoted $198 as this year's maximum cost to refurbish it. Up a few dollars from the last post, but with a replacement over $500, it seemed like the way to go. I sent it off for repair to Ritchie, and I received it back today. They've done a great job.  I'd almost swear they sent me a new one.  They were great responding to e-mail and phone contact as well.
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Brad Young

Getting ready for my first overnight sail, I noticed that my Compass light does not work on my newly purchased 1986 C34. (Hull #34).  Did not check for this on the survey. Anyway, I looked around for a bulb and did not see one.  Where is the bulb located? Could the bulb assy have been removed by the PO.
Thanks
Brad

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Ron Hill

Brad : Most likely the wiring is at fault rather than the bulb. 
Remember that the compass light is wired into the running light circuit - no running lights no compass light!!  If you pull up and twist the stainless binnacle & compass it should lift off the pedestal steering.  There you'll see the 2 wires to the compass and the 2 butt splices of the compass wires to the wires that connect to the running light circuit. 
Look for a crimped and/or a broken wire first before getting a new bulb.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

Thats hull #84 not 34
Just got back from the boat. Spent three days on her. Man was that fun!!!!!

Turns out my compass lighting problem was a butt connection problem.(Thanks Ron) found inside the compass shroud.

thanks
Brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84