Memory foam for bunks

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I was comparing Tufted Topper vs. buying some topper from Overstock.com and cutting some memory foam topper to size. Any issues here specific to the marine environment? Has anyone gone this less expensive route and is the saving really worth it? What do folks think of the the Tufted Topper product? Thanks very much
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ray & Sandy Erps

We went the cheap route a few years back and bought a standard foam pad, 2" thick I think, and put if over the existing cushions as a topper pad.  A big improvement for us.  When we sold the C-34, we took the pad with us and we're using it still on our current boat.  So it's been four years now for a cushion that cost around $80.  That's $20/yr and still going down.  We have a memory foam pad on our bed at home and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the boat too. 
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Terry Forshier

WE just purchased a memory foam topper for our bed in the house. I like it. Makes even the big bed softer. I was considering buying another and cutting it for the boat. At about $80 for a king size it seems like a good idea . I could really tell a big difference and I think it would make sleeping on the boat a lot nicer.

DougP

We used a memory foam pad at home. The boat has a tufted topper.  Pleased with both. We debated using the foam on the boat but decided there were two problems: Weight and heat.

The memory foam can be kind of warm. At home we have a cover over it, but didn't want to do that on the boat. The biggest problem I have on the boat is staying cool in the evening, so anything that hints at more heat in bed (insert your own joke here) is a concern.

The foam weighs a fair amount more than the Tufted Topper. Not a big deal, depending on how often you get to the storage under the V.

For next season I'm toying with the idea of cutting a 4-5" foam rubber pad to replace the cushions under the Topper. The V cushions sag a bit, and I'd like to get rid of the seams.

The Tufted Topper company was excellent to work with.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

sailingdolphin

I bought one from TARGET for $59.99 two years ago and it has worked great.  Just needed a little trimming.
Doug and Donna #171

Joe and Carol

We have a full size three inch memory foam in the quarter berth.  With nothing else to compare we are very pleased with the comfort provided.  :sleepy:  We did not have to trim the foam.  It does help to let the foam settle in place for several hours before using. A nice inexpensive improvement!
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Steve Hansen

Last season we used memory foam in the aft cabin and on the dining birth. during the day, I would fold the foam by thirds, roll it up tight and strap it into a roll to be stored. Not sure why this happened but one weekend in august upon returning to the boat we found the roll of foam had splits in it, completely torn in half!  Haven't decided if the heat had something to do with it or the tension in the roll. Otherwise it sleeps pretty well.
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

John Langford

The Tufted Topper is an excellent product. Firmer than memory foam and not as hot. It makes an amazing difference in the forward berth.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S