LOOSE EXHAUST RISER ON 2004 MKII FINALLY RESOLVED

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

FYI my problem stemmed from the fact that the flange which screws into the s/s riser was not fully set. A short stint in a vise fixed this. It will now stand up to the most active pole dancer. It also gave me the oportunity to examine the hoses/clamps, riser and welds in detail. All in great shape after 4 salty years. New exhaust gasket ($1.75) and clamp ($25) were also installed.

I also changed engine coolant as the original coolant was showing some discoloration. In addition, the cooling system was pressurerized to 15PSI for 15 minutes and held steady.

Oil & oil filter and fuel filter were changed. I change oil twice a year. Racor (10 micron) was changed in May. This is my third Racor since commissioning in April of 2004. Never had a sign of dirt in the bowl. Unless we are cruising, I fill a 5 gallon jerry can with diesel and leave it for a few days before pouring into the tank. I think this cuts down on any sediment that might be present.

Tranny oil was changed. I installed a new impeller as well, this is my third as well. One blade had a bend to it. Rather than just checking them, I feel if youv'e gone this far, why not put a brand new one in as they are only $46.

I painted the entire area aft of the tranny with a white enamel and painted the tranny coupling with silver Tremclad to prevent rust. PSS dripless seal inspected as well. Any body interested in buying a brand new stuffing box, never used!

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."