Engine Clicking

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

I know all engines have a "harmonic" vibration, but my engines seems to be extra pronounced lately.  I changed the engine mounts this year and it does appear to be smoother, but now I hearing a clicking that seems louder. I suspect the valves need adjusting.  The engine has about 650 hours on it.  Any suggestions?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

The Maintenance Schedule calls for an valve adjustment at 500 hours, then every 750 hours after the initial.  So you are due. 

Adjusting the valves is a fairly easy job.  I think it is explained as a project or tech note.  Check the kwowledge Base.  It is briefly explained on page 50 of the service manual found in Manuals on the home page.  Since it is next to impossible to see the flywheel, adjust the valves when both the lobes are pointing down.  Do it when the engine is stone cold and you will need a new valve cover gasket.  Remember it is better for the valves to be loose than too tight.  To tight leads to burned valve faces/seats which will entail pulling the head and doing a valve job. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Steve : You don't need a new valve cover gasket as the one you have is rubber and will stay in the cover.  I've adjusted my valves many times and still have the original gasket.
Just make sure that BOTH tappets are loose when you check the clearance. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Ron, thanks for the tip on the rubber gasket.  I haven't had mine apart yet.  Because of when the engine was designed, assumed  it would be cork.  PO said he they were adjusted on schedule, so I have about 100 hours left until I am due.   
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA