Garhauer EZ-Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Was there ever a Project posted about the above subject?  I was on Paul Sykes' Bajan yesterday and Im really impressed wth this system.  I understand the new purchase ratio is 5:1

Mike

Stu Jackson

Mike, I don't recall a Projects, but remember a Mainsheet tech Note (couldn't find it but the Knowledgebase should work).  There are quite a few hits on a search on "glide".
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

Mike:

Some comments:

A. I think "EZ glide" is a little of an over statement. Yes, the ball bearings make them easier to move. Because of the shape of the "T" track there is still a good amount of friction under load from the jib. They are nowhere near as good as the more expensive Harken system.

B. I have mine set up with 8:1 purchase – 4:1 within the jib car systems and 2:1 external.

C. This is sufficient purchase to move the car forward under full load with a 130% jib in 20+ knots.

D. The usual bungee cord arrangement will not move the car aft under load – probably no even under no load.  I have attached the bitter end of the adjustment line to the back of the car so it can be pulled back under load.

E. Yes, making the jib cars easy to adjust will encourage them to be adjusted – even as little as 0.5" - under sail to improve performance.

Ray

Mike Smith

Ray -

What isn't an overstatement these days! 

Yeah, the bungee idea seems kinda lame.  I think I read that the adjustment line can be closed-looped - have you heard of that arrangement?

Mike

Roc

Mine is done that way, closed looped.  You can pull the car forward, and use the other end that is tied to the car to pull it back. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Price

Could you guys post some photos of these rigs.  Multiple close ups of all the points would be great.  This seems like something that would be good for the projects page so we don't have to "re-invent the wheel'.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

Here you go, Jim!  This picture shows how it arrives from Garhauer Marine mounted on a short piece of Genoa track for shipping purposes, not how it appears after you install it on your existing Genoa tracks (minus the control lines, of course.)  The forward double block on the left and the aft cam cleat on the right mount all the way at each end (fore and aft, respectively) of your existing Geona track (one set for each track, port and starboard) and are used to pull the Genoa block car back and forth under load to adjust the Genoa under different sailing conditions.

Mike

<<<< Fore ------------------------------------------ Aft >>>>

rirvine

dave davis

If you sail in an area that frequently blows above 15 knots, you may consider getting a 6/1 system instead of the standard 4/1. Call Garhauer and ask for Guido. He made me a 6/1 using three high forward block and a triple fiddle block aft. Also, don't mount the swivel cam cleats on the track where they are hard to reach. Mount the cam cleats on the cabin side wall where you can get a straight pull.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Smith

Dave -

Do you have a photo of your cabin wall installation for the cam cleats?

Mike

PS  this can be followed here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4076.0.html

Stu  Sept. '09