Upwind Pointing

Previous topic - Next topic

George Pyrpiris

From what I have learned and experienced first hand a good new sail (preferably of the nonstretch mylar type material) is your best bet for pointing higher.  But without the right trim you will not get the optimum performance.  I was continually being out pointed going upwind by friends on their boats until thay explained sail trim for my genoa.  In short, crank the genoa sheet until you think the winch will ripp out of the coaming (providing you have the right amount of wind 12+knots) and then winch in some more.  You want that genoa as flat as possible and make sure its not spilling wind above or below so play with the sheet block position and leech adjuster.  If your sail is too old you'll never get it flat enough to gain that extra 10-15 degrees and believe me you really can get  that extra lift...it's all about the angles and having enough wind for the size of your genoa for those severe angles!  There's one boat down here a C36 that's raced and they always place in the top 3 no matter what the race or conditions and there's some serious boats she sails against.

George Pyrpiris
Fort Lauderdale, FL