Unresponsive Customer Service from Catalina

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Just a little steam-letting:
I placed an order for a hump host through Catalina Yachts, with the request it be shipped to me 2nd day air, as I am on the East Coast, and wanted the hump hose for Thursday evening.  Deliveries came and went, and no hump hose.  I e-mailed Catalina 3 times asking for tracking Info, and still no response.
Perhaps I should have gone with Catalina Direct! Hopefully it will show up friday. I do need to get my hose changed, and thought I could sneak it in before the weekend, so I just might have the opportunity to spend Saturday on the bay, rather than in the bilge!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

Not in any way supporting their lack of service, but my experience has been that they just don't do email well, if at all.  I've also heard some not so great things about Catalina Direct recently on the C25 and co.com 'sites.  A short piece of wire reinforced hose would get you going this weekend, even better if you haven't yet removed your old one.   :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

In this day and age, I cannot understand a company that "does not do email well".  Poor customer service is poor customer service, no matter what form the communication takes.  If they will not answer email, they should not publish the address!
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Rick, I couldn't agree with you more.  Have you checked their website recently?  It's still a mess.  Oh well, at least they're making boats, although Michel's gelcoat crack problems aren't too heartening.  FWIW, I just got a call from a friend who just sailed down to Southern California from here.  His report: "Tell everyone what a great boat hull #242 is!"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

I have some very recent relationship with the parts dept. at CY. You are very correct, the Email system is broken. No responce at all. But the direct communication by phone with Kent Nelson was a good experience. You can call 1-800-654-2914 and ask for kent.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

DougP

I agree, the service isn't up to par. On the other hand, I've got great pricing on some parts like lifelines & spreaders. Every time I try to deal with them on the phone it's a little frustrating. Then I remind myself I'm calling a boat manufacturer to get a part for my 20 year old boat.  I have a $5,000 stove in my kitchen from a company with a slick website that has never once answered a request. Manufactures usually just aren't in the parts business.

I also wonder how easy it is for someone with a 20 year old Hunter or McGregor to get anything from the factory?

Sure, they are technophobes that can't read emails, and sometime phone conversations are a bit odd. But hey, it took one call and 48 hours to get a perfect set of new spreaders.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

steve stoneback

Tom,
On May 30th I called Catalina parts to order a hump hose and was given the part number and the cost. I was then told I had to fax them that info along with my name, shipping address and a phone number and they would call me for my cc info.  They wouldn't take that info over the phone the day I wanted to place the order.  They did call me the next day for the info and shipped the hose on the May 31st.  I called the following Monday (June 4th) and asked for a UPS tracking number so I would know when it would arrive and they gave me the tracking #.  The hose arrived on the 6th, on schedule.  This was the first time I had ordered anything from Catalina so maybe that was the reason for unusual procedure.... or maybe that is their normal procedure.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Tom Glennon

Well, the good news is... I did receive the hump hose, but it was shipped to my home address, not to the address I had requested.

The bad news is... I have yet to receive a response to my 4 inquiries made yesterday regarding method of shipping, and tracking info.  I guess they feel that as long as they got it out the door, they are done.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Wayne

I had a problem with one on my Garhauer (did I spell that right?) rope clutches.  Catalina referred me to Garhauer who said they would ship a new one right away (today when I called).  Almost three weeks later, and a phone call or two per week . . .  Well, you get the picture.  Finally got my replacement.
I have talked to Kent at Catalina also, he seemed really helpful and followed through on what he said he would do.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

All these things may be true about email but then on the other hand, Frank Buttler is usually available to talk with you on the phone, so go figure.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Rick Johnson

If they only answered actual mailed letters and would not answer the phone, would you stay the same thing?  This is the new century, email is a part of everyday life now....

I would bet money that they use their email system every day for their business communications.  They just do a poor job of providing customer service through the email address that they provide.  If they cannot answer emails, they should stop publishing the address.  I now do the same as everyone else and call directly to both Garhauer and Catalina.  It doesn't make me any happier that I need to pay for a toll-call instead of getting my answer by my free email system.  And don't get me started on the fact that you cannot order parts directly from their website..... 

Cheers,

Rick

P.S. Can you tell I'm a support manager.......
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Guys : I've posted this before.
Like it or NOT Catalina responds best to telephone calls - not Email or letters!!  Call Gerry Douglas and he'll respond.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

canuck

I heard from a dealer recently that Frank Butler still has his letters "typed" on a typewriter.
We attended a Catalina Rendezvous recently and the dealer (dual Beneteau/Catalina) advised that their commissioning time on a Catalina was longer than on a similar sized Beneteau due to chronic production mistakes and workmanship. The water pressure system is a joke as well as cabinetry fittings.
I saw a 34 at the Seattle boat show and the stove was installed so incorrectly and so obviously out of alignment, I could not believe it passed inspection at the factory. No credit to ther dealer to have it shown like this as well.
In my opinion, they will be swallowed up in a few years by one one of the big players. Catalina is a "cottage" company and their customer service is a true indication of this level. The time has come for Butler to step down and for management to pull up their socks. If you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch!

DougP

Ouch! That last one stung.

I haven't been overly impressed with the new Catalinas, but I still like them better than most of the other "production" boats. I suspect it would take a lot for them to go under.

I still have to say the service issue isn't just them. I put a TackTick wireless system on the boat last year. Had some issues, and they never answered emails, phone calls, or mail. After months of trying I finally talked to some one in England that referred me to a private email in Florida. That guy was useless & rude.

When I mentioned to the guy at West Marine I was about to yank the system off and return West Marine stepped up to the plate and did an instant order & exchange.
Doug & Theressa
Noeta,  #307
Gig Harbor Washington

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

No doubt email is handy, but sometimes when you're having unusual problems, it's nice to talk to a REAL person and in EVERY case I have talked to a REAL person at Catalina, my problems got resolved.

I also feel that Catalina's are STILL the best bang for the buck and that opinion comes from chartering Beneteau's, Jeanneau's and Hunter's.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net