Hatch and Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

David Baer

I am getting my 1987 34 (hull 474) for an extended island hopping cruise to the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.  My boatyard manager has expressed concern over the suitability of the forward hatch and opening ports for the conditions we may encounter. He is a good guy- doesn't spend my money without good reason-but he has never sailed in the Gulf of Mexico or points south.
The ports and hatch have served well so far- no leaks, operate easily, etc.
Does someone have experience under more severe conditions than inland waterways to offer? If so any product suggestions would be appreciated.
I think I have put together a good list of other upgrades/redundancies but any thoughts in that area would be helpful.

1987 Hull # 474

wind dancer

I have heard the same things about the Bomar hatches installed on our boats.  I believe the front hatch is only rated to 200lbs.   A large wave over the bow could provide double, or triple that force.  The Lewmar Ocean series hatches are highly recommended.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stephen Butler

Do not know if this is of help, but we took 3 approximately ten foot waves over the bow, and directly onto the forward hatch.  Shook and stopped the boat, and scared the h*** out of us, but thankfully no damage.  Later when speaking with a fellow that has a lot of blue water experience and a few circumnavigations, he recommended the Lewmar ocean series.  Interestingly, he also recommended that whatever hatch make you select, even the Lewmars, that you have precut hatch boards and a means of securing them, to place over the forward and side hatches, before a blow.  We stay within 20 to 40 miles of shore, so are certainly not blue-water sailors, but that forward and perfectly angled (for a wave) hatch still makes me nervous.  We have added a change to our to-do list, but it is not terribly high on the list.   If you happen to get to the west coast of Costa Rica, you will most likely stop in Punta Arenas or Playa Flamingo, both great harbours.  Give us a call and we can meet.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ted Pounds

When I replaced the lense on my  front hatch I went from a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch thick.  I added extra bedding compound around the edges and you'd never notice the extra thickness, but I'd guess it's 50% stronger.   :thumb:  I can't imagine the ports ever being an issue. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

David Baer

Thanks for the comments.  I know the Ocean series-they are about as robust as can be found.
1987 Hull # 474