Raymarine C series

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I am planning the install of my C120 display.  It is too big to mount on the pedestal without a total rework and loss of the teak drink/binocular/handheld/etc holder is not an Admiral approved modification. I am thinking about mounting it on the coach house just aft of the port winch (winch is only used to raise and lower the dingy).  It will still be visible from the helm and protected by the dodger.  It will be removable, stored at the navsta when not actually underway.  Cable routing will be through a hole in the wall to the head then out the overhead hatch. 

Anybody have any other options?  I've thought about a swing out at the companionway, but that leaves wires dangling waiting to get snagged in a heavily trafficed area.

I'm only part way through the owners manual.  Does the display have a built in memory or will it be dumped if the power is disconnected?  GPS and Nav card are the next install, would like to build waypoints and routes at the navsta for use the next day etc.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

rirvine

Before you go and spend big bucks with RM, you should look into one of the PC or MAC based systems that have very similar features for a fraction of the cost.  I have successfully interfaced my RM instruments systems to a MAC and have been using MacENC successfully for the last 12 months - total cost $800.

Just a thought,  Ray

Ed Shankle

Ken,
I've been pondering that as well. I finally bought a mountable GPS/plotter this year (I've either continued to use my Loran or my handheld GPS up to now). I'd like the option of inside or outside use, so the portside coachroof seems like a good location for the outside mount. But I was thinking more of running the wires around the liner/wall edge of the head, then through a hole in the coach roof. Figured I could use a flat profile plug in the hole when the unit is mounted inside at the nav station.
Any other suggestions?

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

David Arnold

Ken,
I have the C80 and it is plenty big enough to veiw easily.  Personally I think a 12 inch screen on a boat that only goes 6 knots (if you're lucky) is overkill.  On top of that a 12" viewed mounted anywhere but on the pedistal is going to be harder to see than the C80 right in front of the wheel.  I'm not sure of the configuration of your pedistal but the C80 fits on mine and may do the same for you.  Save your money! :D
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

foursailing

David - How did you mount the C80?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Steve Sayian

Bill,

Here is a picture of how the C80 is mounted on our boat.

It was added about 2 years ago (just before we bought the boat in Portsmouth, RI).

The pedestal guard is curved towards the bow to allow the display to sit under the instrument cluster and is viewed at an angle.  Makes it easy to use the controls and soft keys.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

David Arnold

Bill,
My C80 was mounted by the factory similar if not the same as described by Steve.  My point was that if the C80 can fit on your pedistal the display is going to "appear" larger than the C120 mounted some 6 to 8 feet away from the helm.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ken Juul

Thanks for the ideas.  Mk1 boats have a different pedestal set up and not as much room in the cockpit.  The only way to add thing is to go up, then there is the problem of forward visibility.  This is going to take some additional pondering.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA