Rudder removal, specifically depth needed below the rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

jkar

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly or a really educated guess, as to how much room is needed below the rudder for removal?  I have done a search and there are plenty of "you need to dig a hole" or "you need to have it lifted/in the sling" type answers, one that said the rudder was 7' from top to bottom and another that said 6'?  I have an '87 Mk I with a standard 5'7" draft keel.  I am in a cradle up on blocks and have 24" underneath the rudder.  Below that is asphalt, so digging is not an option.  Thanks, Joel

Kyle Ewing

When I replaced my rudder a couple of seasons ago I needed a foot or two on my 1990 fin keel boat.  If you replace the rudder with a new one don't forget the new rudder is longer so you'll need more room.

To figure out exactly how much room you'll need to drop measure the distance from the hull where the rudder enters the boat to the top of the rudder post and add an inch or two for the hull thickness.  You can do this from the aft locker.

On a previous boat (an S2 9.2A) the yard was able to lift the cradle enough with railroad jacks to get the rudder out and back in, but I only needed about 6 inches of clearance.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jeff Kaplan

joel, the rudder on my boat is about 7' oa, maybe a few inches shorter, if that, and i have a 4'8" shallow draft keel which uses the same rudder that goes on a wing keel. i am on concrete and the boat had to be lifted. create a measurement from the bottom of the rudder to the top of the emerg. tiller cap and substract the 2' to see if you have the room just to drop it, but i don't think so, with 2' of clearance, you will still be about a foot short....jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Joel : Measure the distance from the bottom of the rudder packing gland to the emergency tiller connection at the top of the rudder column(+ the thickness of the hull) - that's the distance that you'll need under you rudder.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Turning Point

I have dropped the rudder, litterally, a couple of times and here was the deal for my 5'7" 1986 C34.  My boat was hauled and set on it's keel on wood with jack stands supporting it, low no cradle.  I had to dig about 6 or so inches to get it to drop out.  If I were doing it again I would dig about 8 inches and be done with it.  When we let the rudder down, it got away from us, hit the hole and fell over.  I'm glad no one was in the way.  The rudder is really heavy as you will see when you put it back in.  Once you have the hole dug it is a matter of a few bolts, 15/20 min, to remove.
Good luck