Changing the Oil on the M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

I need to change the oil on my M35 and being new to it (had the M25 on my C30) there is a tube on the starboard side of the engine that runs from the bottom of the oil pan to a bracket on the front of the engine.  It looks like this is where you drain the oil from but I'm curious as to how to actually get the oil out.  Does it drain by gravity or do you use some kind of pump to empty the pan.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Joe Kern

Steve - That is for the oil drain.  You can buy a drill powered or other type of oil pump at WM etc. and stick the tube from the pump down that hose to get to the bottom of the oil pan.  It works pretty well.  I suspect you could also attach a fitting with a nipple on the end of the engine hose and suck everything out that way, but I think you get more oil if you are actually locating the suction hose at the bottom of the pan.  If the engine has been warmed up a bit the oil flows well and it actually becomes pretty simple job.  No excuse not to do it every 50 hours or so.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Steve Sayian

Joe,

Thanks very much! I have a 'drill pump' and I'll take your advice on inserting the tube into the hose.
Appreciate the quick response.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Bill Jenks

Hey Steve

I have the same set up wit the oil drain hose. I installed a threaded nipple and use a a vacumn type pump, available from West Marine. I remove the drain hose from the bracket on the engine and attach the hose from the pump to the threaded nipple on the engine drain hose. That creates a leak free connection. Then I use the vacumn pump to pump all the oil out. I have found that I can remove all of the oil without loosing even a drip - so no mess.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Steve Sayian

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give it a try next week when I do the engine!

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass