Modifying a Catalina 34 to fit into a 35 foot slip

Previous topic - Next topic

cal25sf

Modifying a Catalina 34 to fit into a 35 foot slip.

I want to purchase a 1988 Catalina 34. Can I modify the pulpit so the boat is only 35 feet from tip to tip?

Ted Pounds

They don't allow a little overhang in your marina?  For the first 5 years I kept my C34 in a 35 foot slip w/ a dingy at the front end; no problems  8)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Cal : I had a similar situation in a condo marina where I owned my slip (hole in the water).  We had floating docks and a slight overhang of the bow pulpit was no problem on the dock.  You have no bow sprit or swim platform, so how much does the pulpit extend beyond the bow?  If it's 6 inches or less you should be OK - as the C34 is 34.5ft overall.  
If you have to you could modify the front of the pulpit and move the running lights.  The condo marina usually are only worried about the amount of boat extending into the fairway.  
Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

The "Brochures" page of the main website, www.c34.org, indicates that the length of the C34, 1988, is 34'-6".  See: http://www.c34.org/images/34c522d.jpg [You can either print it out or enlarge it by placing your cursor over the picture and waiting until the "expand" button appears on the lower left hand corner.  Then scroll to the dimensions part of the specs.]

Perhaps you can use this information from the brochure and explain to the marina folks that your boat is less than 35 feet.

Otherwise, unless you can help us understand the potential restrictions on this particular slip, it's hard for us to understand what the issue is that you are facing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Larry Robertie

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 07, 2007, 05:22:26 PM
The "Brochures" page of the main website, www.c34.org, indicates that the length of the C34, 1988, is 34'-6". 

The Catalina 34mkII is actually listed by Catalina as 35'8".  The marina may think it's that because that's what the newer ones are listed as.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Good point, Larry.  The latest brochure we have on the site is for a Mark II 1998 (see: http://www.c34.org/images/c34_98_brochure_4.jpg).  Have they changed the length since then, do you know?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tommyt

I think that this discussion is the same as displacement, a moving number.

I have a brochure given to me when I bought Splash Dance in 2004, and it lists the LOA as 34' 6". I also have a Catalina 34 MKII Specifications sheet, Rev: 3/7/03 that lists lenght of HULL as 34'6" and LOA of 35' 8". Go figure! Guess I better measure her one of these days to see what reality is.

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Larry Robertie

Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

ssk

On the question of the modification to the pulpit, I have seen a number of modifications done on the stainless pulpits on other model boats (mostly Hunters) that actually look pretty good and functional.  Some even have cut the center portion out and put in a bow-riding seat.  The Hunter dealer at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard has done a number of modifications for boats to be docked in Santa Barbara, a place where slips are traded like penthouses off Park Avenue and any excess overhang (even and inch or two) will get you exiled from Eden.  I have watched them chop off the first foot and a half of the bow of a new Hunter and modify the pulpit stainless with open front ends so that they are functional and look factory (though tragically silly.) 

Jim Price

Your rules may not allow (picky marina) but you can always slip her in stern first then you have nothing hanging over the docks that might interfier with someone's body parts.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Guys : Why are you even talking about the MKII????   :roll:
Cal's question is about a 1988 MKI which is 34.5 feet overall length!!!

As I said to my "Covenants Committee" - Why I can't put a 34 ft boat in a 35 ft slip?  I don't have a bow sprit nor a swim platform!  How exact is the 35 ft slip measurement?  My stern NEVER stuck out into the fairway.  If the wind was off the stern (prevailing wind was from the bow) the pulpit slightly might extend over the dock (with the anchor stowed in the locker).  You'd have to be 7 ft tall to walk into the my pulpit!  :wink:

Ron, Apache #788