Engine Zinc Question of the Month

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Question: How often do you check the engine pencil zinc?
What's a pencil zinc?  1 (2.4%)
Quarterly  8 (19%)
Twice a year  9 (21.4%)
once a year  18 (42.9%)
when I think about it  6 (14.3%)

Total Voters: 42

No right answer, depends on how much you use your boat and the salinity of the water.  After you do it a couple times you will get the feel of often you need to change your.  Couple of good replies, see them at:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3546.0
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jimlad

I'm getting worried that I'm having to replace my heatx pencil zinc too often.  It's completely corroded after three months and only 20 engine hours running in salt water.  It's a M35B with the long style anode.   Anyone got any views?  Should I be worried?  What can I do?  Cheers, Dave
Dave Wright
KRYPTONITE, Sydney, Australia
Hull no: 1620
Yr: 2002
Std rig, fin keel

Stu Jackson

Every 3 months is par for the course, few sooner, some later, to 4 months.  Stay with it, it's fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The Zn anode life span is directly proportional to the salinity content of the water that you're sailing/motering in!!
We on the Chesapeake (fresh water from the Susquehanna) have brackish water compared to the people on the salty ocean shore in Norfolk!  You need to change your Zn's accordingly.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788