ST 60 Wind Instrument

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

ST 60 Wind Instrument

Splashed the boat today and stepped the mast. Checked all wiring, bulbs, etc. and everything seemed fine. Except when I later checked instruments and the ST 60 Wind shows no direction or windspeed although it is blowing and pointing. Flashed 0 and then a dotted line. It would seem that as the connections are ground and five other wires for different readouts that I would get something such as a direction or speed. Nothing.

Had taken the pod apart to take out my Auto Pilot to have it checked by Raymarine. Thought I had everything back together, but pulled it again to make sure. Everything looks fine there. There is only one way to connect the windex at the top of the mast, think it was fine, but will probably have to go up and check that tomorrow.

The box for connecting is under the deck stepped mast. Only way to get to it is to pull the mast again and check it. I am hoping that someone else has experienced this and that there is a logical fix that we cannot think of. I do not relish the thought of having them pull the mast up to check connections again.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Tom Soko

Tom,
This might sound like a stupid question, and please excuse me if it is, but why is the connection box for the masthead wiring INSIDE the mast?  Shouldn't it be NEAR the base of the mast, where it is easily accessible for checking, troubleshooting, etc.??
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

rirvine

The wires to the transducer should read as follows:

Red to Screen: 8V
Blue to Screen: Variable 2 to 6V
Green to Screen: Variable 2 to 6V
Yellow to Screen: Variable 0 to 8V

Hope this helps you run the problem down.

Ray

tommyt

St 60 AWI fixed. Unfortunately, a dual problem.

1. When they stepped my mast they had the green in a blank spot and not against green. Which of course we found when we pulled the mast.

2. That did not fix it. Up we went. Small bit of corrosion that I did not see when I installed the instrument on the top of the mast.

At least it works now.

Anyone with the stepped mast, with the pain in the bottom little black box for a AWI, found a better connection? Not going to do anything till we pull her in the fall, but looking for the answer before then.

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

tonywright

Google Electroshield. They will sell you a waterproof DDK 5 pin connector built to Mil Spec. I have put one on my wind instrument, and a 14-connector on my radar! Get the solder type. Use large heat shrink tubing to bulk up and waterproof the cable when soldering is done.

Be sure to order the weather caps to cover the connectors when the mast is down.

Cheers

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada