Leather turnbuckle covers

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Edson makes a nice turnbuckle cover. Any experience with them? Best place to purchase cost-wise? Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : When I got my C34 back 19years ago, I immediately bought 6 turnbuckle covers.  After I sailed the boat I found out that where the C34 chain plates are located (well inboard from the stanchion/life lines) that the 150% genoa never came close to the turnbuckles!!  I never installed them and have never regretted it!

As far as the cotter pins, just make sure that the sharp ends are curled in a loop (done with a long nose pliers).  Then you won't catch a leg or something else on them.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Cliff, leather is probably the least destructive covering you can use because it breathes, so if you're doing this for aesthetics, I suppose leather boots are okay.  But Ron's right, there's no practical reason to cover any of your rigging.  It'll just cause rapid decay of the stainless by reducing breathing.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Larry Robertie

On my Mk II I have nice SS turnbuckle covers that, as I understand it, either came from Catalina or as an aftermarket item from Catalina Direct.  They are very low profile and allow the SS rigging plenty of air (the air circulation thing is huge)
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Guys : FYI, most of the MK1s have an open turnbuckle. Think Catalina started the "closed" turnbuckle (with a stainless sleve) in about 1993.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788