New House Bank

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I'm the proud installer of a new house bank.

Thanks for the help...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Rick Johnson

And a new starting battery in a new location....

Stu Jackson

BRAVO!!! :clap

Well done, Rick, congratulations.

In the space where you've installed your start bank we have some storage.  In order to avoid having to take the whole starboard cushion and cover off, we've cut the cover underneath the cushion so we only have to take that small piece out.  That idea may help you with easy access to check the start battery water levels.  We also cut the, what is in your picture lower left hand corner, at an angle so the small piece can lift out without having to move the forward portion of the cushion.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Nice install. 
What size batteries in the house bank? 
What is the purpose of the little red cable going from the + terminal to what looks like a fuze block on the starting battery? 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

Ken,
Since I like puzzles, I've concluded those must be 2 banks of 2 six volts connected in series and then the two banks paralleled. It looks like he has a positive to negative series connection between the two 6 volt batteries comprising each bank. I guess we'll find out soon.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Rick Johnson

Ken, that would be the #6 cable for the Truecharge 40+.  The picture is before everything was quite finished so the cable from the fuse block to the charger is not in the picture yet.  Yes, It's four 6-volt golf cart batteries from Sam's Club for the house bank. Pairs are wired pos-neg to give 12 volts and then the pairs are wired pos-pos and neg-neg to increase capacity.  Hopefully that's right.  No smoke when I hooked everything up and the charger seems happy...

Cheers...

Ken Heyman

Nice job Rick!

I also went with four 6 volts last season (Trojan 105's) and have been quite happy. I don't have an isolated starting battery however, which would be preferable.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Rick : Aren't you glad that guys like Hank Recla wrote up the installation of 4 golf cart batteries back in 1996/97?
Now people complain that they "can't find the information"!  Back then and ten years earlier - the information wasn't there!!   :think
Ron, Apache #788

foursailing

Rick - Nice installation - what was the model # of the batteries you purchased from Sam's club - do you know the specs? 

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Rick Johnson

Sam's Club only had two models of golf cart batteries, 6 volt or 8 volt.  I made the partitions in the battery compartment so I can switch to Trojan t105s in the future.

I believe the following specs are close.  This is based on the Sam's Club batteries now being made by Interstate Battery instead of Exide as before.  The batteries were relabeled Exide E3600s at one time.  I believe they are now Interstate U2200s.

Volts 6
Ah Capacity (20 hr) 232 (Battery is actually marked 210)
CCA 474

Reserve Capacity
25A – 474
75A – 122 (Battery is actually marked 105)

Length 10 1/4
Width 7 1/8
Height 11 /1/8

Weight 63lbs

Ron, you are so right. It was almost a problem of too much information,but I can live with that...

Craig Illman

Rick - What did they cost you each?

Craig

p.s. too many good projects, I did the galley sink mod yesterday.