just joined

Previous topic - Next topic

sdaly66

Hello all,

Catalina 250 sailor here from the Annapolis area.  I have a 1987 34' wing keel under contract as of today.  Hoping to close sometime in March.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and learning from all of you.  I know that I have used the 25/250 site to my advantage more than to theirs.

Cheers!

Shawn

sdaly66

OK folks, I won't waste any time before drawing upon your collective wisdom...

As I said in my opening post, I currently sail a 250 water ballast.  Board down she draws 5'6", but the water ballast makes her VERY tender.

Consequently, she's never been heeled very far - in fact she's fastest between 8 and 12 degrees over.

What can I expect from a 34 wing keel?  Where do I reach optimal? And where should I start to squeeze the shine out of the wheel?

Yeah, I'm pretty much clueless.  My apologies.

Randy Stolze

Shawn,

Congratulations on finding a C34. I hope she surveys to your satisfaction.

Regarding the sailing charteristics of these boats they are very stiff and 12degrees is probably in the sweetspot range. You will know you are there when your doing 6+knots.

Welcome to the C34.org site this is a great resource.

Randy
Randy

Jim Price

Shawn, welcome to the family!!    :clap   :clap

The "groove" varies somewhat depending on your sail load and keel.  Lady Di is a standard rig normally running a 145 head with a Kappa large roach main and fin keel.  And loaded to the gills with stuff below.  She runs best in the 12 to 18 degree range.  She is stable enough that little pressure is required on the wheel when pointing tight to maintain a course.  Any more heel and you are just looking like a Cape Dorey and wasting your speed and stressing the equipment and your crew.  Now that is from a fresh water perspective - we don't have to many 4+ foot seas to contend with.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Welcome Shawn and congratulations.

In addition to checking out the Knowledgebase thread, please review the Invitiation to New Message Board Members post at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2768.0

Just let us know what you need and we'll help you find the relevant material and answer any of your questions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sdaly66

WOW,

Thanks folks for weighing in so quickly.

I sail the Chesapeake - mostly north of the Potomac, so the seas are manageable.

The one I'm bidding on is a tall rig on a wing keel with a 135 jenny.

Glad to be aboard and thank you all again.

Footloose

Congrats on what I have found to be a great boat.  Learning on this boat is OK as I have found her to be forgiving, stiff and strong.  That said, I would agree that 12-18 degrees is ideal.  I have a young family and throw in the first reef when the wind hits 18 kts or so; 15 kts if it is just me or just me and the kids.  How I sail has alot to do with who is along and their sailing experience.

There is alot of info on this board and alot of good people to help.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Joe and Carol

I suggest you construct a Polar Plot. 

A good reference is: "Sail Power"  Wallace Ross with Carl Chapman, Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1980.

To me, it is understanding and mastering the relationships of specific true wind velocity, angle of attack, and trimming of sail ( which can be referenced marked ) that produce the maximum, controlled, sustainable speed. Reaching critical heel angle ( approximately 23 - 25 degrees on many boats ) you know degrades performance!

It is more complicated than just "heel" for when skipping a rock across water the flatter stone sails further!  In great part due to the stored kinetic energy sustaining the force of projection, the shape of stone, the true wind and the carving motion friction in relation to flat plate area drag.

Good Luck!  Joe and Carol, YachtaSea, #244
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Ron Hill

Shawn : I've had my 1988 C34 since day one.  We usually have 110-120 overnights/year not counting day sailing.  So, I use the boat and never put the "rail in the water"!!  I don't think it can be done on a C34 - if someone has it's extraordinary!! 
You made a good buy.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

sdaly66

Ron,

Where do you tie up?

I'm moving the new boat tomorrow from Jabin's down to my home marina Casa Rio (in Mayo).

Stephen Butler

Congratulations!  You have a great boat and membership in a great association.  A short comment along the lines of Ron's experience...we too have never had the rail in the water, whatever the wind and wave conditions...which has included the foolish mistake of caring a 150 on a broad reach in 20+ kt winds (yes, we blew the sail out) and an evening in tropical storm Alberto.  C34s are stiff! Fair winds.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023