Alternator Bracket Replacement - M25 Engines

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

A fellow skipper who owns C36 #84 (pre-1986, perhaps 1984) recently completed his bracket replacement.  Don't ask me how his old bracket on his M25 lasted so long, and I don't know how many engine hours the boat had.

In any event, George used some information from our 'site as well as the C36 website, which worked successfully for him.  His story is here: http://catalina36.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6186056212/m/9931063132/p/1

Craig Illman and I also commented on that thread.  As I've noted, there are so many similarities between our boats that we can each learn from the other.  Tom Sokoloski, the new C36 Commodore, has long been a very welcome contributor here.

The basic alternator bracket repair information is: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-alt-bracket.html

For those with M25 engines, we highly recommend checking this important feature for your safety.  I didn't think there were any M25s left with the old brackets, but ya learn somethin' new every day.

Please also note that his next step is the wiring harness, another important safety issue to avoid having your boat start by itself when you're not there.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : Guess the old saying "God protects the unknowing"! really happens.  From the horror stories that I've hear about that bracket breaking and knowing that it's the only emergency bulletin sent out by Universal - that Captain is one lucky fellow.
But then, I still find C34/36s with an ammeter in the engine instrument panel meaning they are URGENTLY  in need of the wiring harness upgrade.  This is a known fire hazard, but people still haven't made that modification!!!!  :donno:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

For those that have the bracket replacement, it is still a good practice to LOOK AT YOUR BRACKET CLOSELY for any hairline cracks.  My bracket cracked late last season. 
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts