Keel configuration of Cat 34 vs Cat 36

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilah

We are undecided between a 34 vs 36, and are wondering about the different sailing capabilities between the two keels:  wing keel of the 36 vs the classic confgiuration of the 34.  Any thoughts?

jfssail

Both Cat34 and 36 boats come with either fin or wing keels.  You will find the main difference between the two boats is in the galley where the frig,dry storage and counter space on the C36 beats the C34.
We also looked hard at both boats before the Admiral selected the C36 because of the galley and other storage areas.
We do very little dinning ashore and when you have a wife who name is Martha Stewart what else would you expect?

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

Jon Schneider

This could start a real war ;)  OMG, why not ask which is better, a wheel or a tiller?  Conventional wisdom (which is almost always wrong) suggests that a fin keel provides superior sailing performance (though not necessarily by much).  In my very limited experience with wing keels (my C34 is a fin keel standard rig), I'm not convinced that wings have inferior pointing ability, though I can believe that they "crab" more (skew leeward), so your VMG may be slightly compromised.  That said, you'll be happier with the shorter draft if you're sailing the Intercoastal.  Go here for a previous discussion of the topic (http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq-fin.html), and also do a search of this board for other discussion threads.  I too compared C34s to C36s and chose the C34 because a) I found a particular one that was a real bargain; and b) aesthetically, I think the C34 MkI is a prettier boat than the C36 MkI, and I found the interior of the cabin of the C34 more pleasing.  The lines of the C34 are perfect and I think the third portlight streamlines the look.  For some odd reason, I feel the difference is negligible between the MkII models. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I like the head in the aft location in the 34, also the aft cabin seems roomier or maybe it's just laid out differently.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Lilah : Jon said it all ! 
Do you/1st mate want the head forward or at the bottom of the companion way steps? 
What kind of water depth do you have in your sailing area.  The difference is 5' 9" + or 4' 5" ?? = your choice!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

A real bonus of having the head at the rear is that when one comes in with wet foul weather gear on the trip to the head to remove them is not through the entire boat.  I guess the same can be said for swim suits.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Tom Lanzilli

I also believe the mast goes through the cabin which I never did like.  I prefer the setup of the 34 in this respect.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Jon Schneider

Tom, I believe the majority of MkI C34s (mine, for instance) have keel-stepped masts.  The C34 rig design began its life as a deck-stepped mast and converted back to that at some point, I think, with the introduction of the MkII in '96. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Sedgwick

In San Diego, the SDCatA fleet races usually have 4 or more C36 boats and 3 Cat 34 boats. The racing is very close. A couple of the C36s are tall rigs and do better in the light air. In other conditions, the C34s tend to do as well. It's very close racing, both handicap and for line honors. Last year a C34 won the Club overall trophy. If you have enough water, the fin keel is better performing on either boat. This fleet started as a C30 fleet but there is little C30 participation now and it has become an All Catalina Asso.

For entertaining at the dock, the C36 wins easily. It has a better salon and the MkIIs have a great cockpit. My wife doesn't like the C36 companion way stairs ending in the galley and I don't like the head forward but these are minor issues. For sailing or sleeping, I prefer the C34. Just one opinion. Either will put a grin on your face and they are pretty much a toss up on the race course.

Bill
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Stu Jackson

Another thought:

One VERY important issue:  check out the V berth between the boats.  With the "standard" V berths on the C34 I believe you'll find it is the largest and most comfortable V berth on any boat in it's size range.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lilah

Thanks for all the comments. We also have come to believe that either keel confinguration would do us just fine, but for working on the hull, the shorter wing keel boat will be easier. Also, after standing up below in a 34 and a 36, it became a clear choice. My husband Mark is 6'3 +, and he cannot stand up completely in a 34! What a treat to see his head room in the 36! He has a few (ok maybe 1-2) inches to spare in the 36!

I believe he should also fit in the aft cabin in the 36, although I did prefer the layout of the 34 with the head by the companionway. Either way, we win. We are excited, and can't wait now that we have made up our minds. We sail out of Racine WI, and look forward to meeting other Cat 36 owners when we are lucky enough to be ones ourselves (hopefully soon!)

Rosalie (screen name is Lilah - that's my Lab, who also loves to sail :clap)

Stu Jackson

Rosalie

Best of luck with your new boat, we're sure you'll both enjoy her.

One of the things that's so nice about the "Catalina Community" is that many of the boats share similar systems, and, therefore, we can each learn from others.  Many of our C36 friends are visitors to this website, and we often view theirs.

We encourage you to check both this site and the C36 websites out regularly, since each of us can always learn from the other.

Enjoy.