ANSWERS TO: Mast Configurations & WAY OLD 1985 Price List

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

THANKS TO YOU ALL

This Catalina 34 Community is WONDERFUL.

"SURVEY SAYS:"  (folklore de-bugged)

THERE IS NO ANSWER TO WHEN CATALINA "changed" in 1986-7 from deck stepped to keel stepped, or there and back again masts.

So much for C34 engineer's linear thought processes.

Because:  CATALINA OFFERED THE DECK STEPPED MAST IN LIEU OF A KEEL STEPPED MAST as an OPTION in the original brochure.

Deck stepped was listed at $185 more than keel stepped.

so:  EVERYBODY WINS!!!

Thanks to Jim Rose, #1506 (who is smart enough to have "lusted" after a C34 from the time he saved the first Catalina 1985 'offering' b&w brochure to when he bought his brand new boat last year or so, based on his new hull #) and so many of you others, who, with your help, have finally documented the "final answer" to this engaging question.

The roseta stone research was probably harder, but not half as much fun.

Jim Rose also wins the LONGEST LUST PRIZE (we first saw 'our' C34 in 1987 at a boat show in San Francisco;  it only took us 12 years to make the plunge); he beat us by two years in the 'waiting for the best boat ever' category.

AS TO PRICING:

Jim snail mailed me his original price list, which has confirmed his post on this MB.

You C34 people are all great with your historical reference material.  Please keep up the good work.

I've scanned in the original price list from Jim as a JPG file. I'd be glad to forward it around individually if you email me with a request, and am working on getting it up on the website.

GOOD $$$ News:  for us "good old boat" owners - it was about what we've all paid for our teak wonders (naw, we won't get into inflation and initial value and all that - I'll leave it up to your imaginations - anyway, our boats keep their value based on their inherent worth and your hard work in maintaining them).

BAD $$$ news:  NONE.

Remember, 'they' got Manhattan for $24 from someone.

It's not what it was then, it's what it is today.

Thanks everyone for helping out.

Best regards,

Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 IA Secretary

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on November 08, 2001 at 09:48 PM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."