Outboard Engine Lift as MOB recovery

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

Has anyone ever used an outboard engine lift for a MOB? Some are designed for 250#'s or more.  Do you think the standard Catalina 34 stern pulpit could handle up to 250 #'s?
Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

That's a great idea.  Because of the relatively short horizontal length of the hoist, there's not much load on the ring on the pulpit anyway.  Just make sure the base is firmly set.  If you have a Garhauer, the base goes into the black ball on the deck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Doug : If you had a walk thur transom it should work.  If you have a standard transom and have to bring the MOB up the side I think the 3 or 4 : 1 on the main halyard will work the best(Life Sling).   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I agree with Ron (assuming the halyard purchase is a result of the winch?), although I'd even be a touch nervous about using the outboard lift for the open transom.  After all, no one falls overboard in calm, windless seas, so really that 200 lb guy (ugh, when was the last time I saw that number on the scale) has much more force and resistance when you're trying to drag a dead weight against chop and bounce.  If you're talking about using the lift to assist your 90 lb kids after a swim on a calm day, I think you'd have no problem.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

tommyt

I would agree with Jon, in anything bumpy I do not want to be anywhere near the stern. You can swim aboard the sugar scoop in calm weather, but can get killed back there in anything rough. Life Sling on the side gets my vote.

Tom Mallery
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance