Spiderweb cracks in Gelcoat - 2005 MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Great thread. I have the same problem on the port side of my 1999 Mk II sugar scoop and some similar crazing at a couple of spots between the rub rail and the toe rail on the port side. The latter looks like it resulted from the stress of connecting the deck to the hull. I agree that these are different phenomena from the (hopefully) small voids that one will generally find in the deck and cockpit floor of any fibreglass boat. My glass guy said that there is nothing structurally wrong (i.e. it is just a gel coat problem) but he is not sure if it will re-occur if fixed. I am a bit compulsive about such things but I am trying to relax and keep the problem in perspective. Still, I may gouge out and repair a couple of the small cracks to see if they re-occur.

Every once in awhile I fantasize about seeking perfection by trading upto a new C34. This exchange has given me pause for thought.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Joe Kern

Catalina Warranty repair folks finally arrived (they apparently travel the eastern seaboard each year doinbg repairs).  They did the work in a day and also are talking to Catalina about replacing my bilge cover (cabin sole) piece that is aft of the mast.  It never fit flush with the floor.

I have not seen the work yet and will report once I get to the boat next weekend.  Nice to know Catalina came thorugh with the warranty response.  I hope others have faired as well.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

willie

FYI, I have a 2005 mkII as well and I had spider cracks below the swim ladder as well along the toe rails, around the vents in the back and many other places. The ones below the swim ladder is where the hull is attached to the deck. I had them ground down to the laminate and then laid-up and then re gel-coated. Frank is a where of this problem but thinks its no big deal. He's wrong! I have had 13 voids to date and many areas of cracking. This boat was not free and Catalina's attitude "no big deal" make me crazy! :shock:

Stephen Butler

We  have received several "harsh" emails regarding our comments about finding the occasional void or a few gel coat cracks, at least on older C34s.

We were not being "apologists" for CY, but rather just noting that given the size and complexity of a C34, and noting the "how and where" we use our C34s, finding a "few" of these problems, particularly in an older boat, is not surprising. Additionally, while CY service can disappoint on occasions, generally it has been very supportive, at least in our experience.

However, if we had taken delivery of a new C34 that had 13 voids, and extensive gel coat cracking, and if CY commented that it was not a big concern, we would "go ballistic."  Years ago, we regretably switched to foreign brands of automobiles in response to similar product quality and customer service issues.  Growth without quality is dangerous, particularly in discretionary products like C34s.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023