Spiderweb cracks in Gelcoat - 2005 MKII

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Just back from 2 weeks in the Abacos.  Jenny Jewel did great the entire trip including 2 Gulfstream crossings with less than perfect conditions.

I noticed that on the starboard side of the lower stern area (starting on the sugar scoop area and traveling upward) a series of spider web type cracks have occurred in the gelcoat and non-skid area on and starboard of the swim platform.  I had no damage here before and no casaualty event occurred which can acount for this.  Has anyone experieced this with a relatively new MKII?  Anyone have any ideas on whether this is covered by the warranty as I have to reveiw that once I get back to the boat?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Momentum M

Joe..I think that our boats came out of the same mold!!!  I also noticed some spider cracks  right underneath the swim platform...(IE: basically between the swim ladder attachments and a bit on either side ..going up a bit).  It's not really noticeable unless you look close and really are looking for it.  I noticed it when I was prepared for launching in the Spring.  I had a step ladder installed where the swim ladder is and going up one day I noticed.  Luckily I was waiting for the service man to come fix a few other things. 
I pointed this to him and his "gelcoat man" as they were also doing some repairs to another Catalina.
They said that they would have to grind down the gelcoat and redo it.  According to them I should have it repaired 'cause it might get worse later on. 
I have taken pics of it ( I pencilled the airline crack so that they would show on the pics) and send them to the dealer.  I haven't received a reply yet....and I'm not to keen on doing what they suggested so, maybee out of fear, I'm not pushing it yet.  They said that they could do it while in the water but I would much prefer that they do it when the boat is on hard.
The feeling that I got is that it is covered by the boat warranty.
In my case it would also mean that after the job I would have to get the boat lettered again.

If you want I could email you the pics.  If I would put them on this site you wouldn't see anything.
My hull number is 1719 so it's not far from yours!!!
As new informations come along I'll let you know.
Regards
Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Joe Kern

Serge - Let me know what you hear from your dealer/Catalina.  I intend to make the same sort of claim and will let you know as well.  It does sound like the exact same problem and certinaly not something I want to fix myself on an almost new boat.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jeff_McKinney

Gee Guys,

Just what I need-something else to watch for. :nail

Seriously, thanks for the alert.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Sailor Vic

I own a 2005 (#1688) and I have some spiderweb cracks also.

2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Joe Kern

I have notified my dealer and he is supposed to get back to me.  I will let everyone know what I find out and would appreciate it if everyone would do the same.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe Kern

My dealer says that Catalina has some roving inspectors who come and look at these things but said he was going to call Frank Butler directlty.  Has been a dealer for 25 years so probably knows him.  Tried to take some pictures but the cracks don't show well in a photo.  I have a PDF of the general area I will try and attach.  Will update when I know more.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Jeff_McKinney

Joe,

Thanks for the photos. I'll give my boat a look this week.  :nail
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

willie

Me too lots of spider cracks on my 2005 MKII, Also so far I have found 12 major voids. I want my money back. This boat was manufactured poorly. I will never by another Catalina. I feel like painting my lime colored

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

willie

What you will find is round-ish cracks in the gel coat, then when you push on them they are empty underneath. I have pump over two quarts of gel coat with hardener into 12 voids so far and no end in site. Some have actually required reshaping of the mold; like around where the Dodger windshield snaps down on the port and starboard sides. Here is a link to a void that was repaired in my cockpit seat: http://www.pc-land.com/simplelife/simple_life_dbase/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6&posts=1

usually we can drill two 16" drill holes; one exhaust one intake and pump the gel coat in that way.

They are all like this but they are hard to find. I had to just start tapping out my whole boat. The ones in the white are easy to fix but the ones in the grey non-skid are impossible to make look perfect. I am beside my self. This is my first sailboat and I am starting to understand this is not uncommon....????

Stephen Butler

When we purchased our 1990 C34, the surveyor found several voids in the deck, near the anchor well.  Nothing big and we will eventually get around to filling them.  The surveyor (30+ years in the business) commented that he had never inspected a boat, new or used, that did not have a void or two, including the luxury brands.  We have since spoken with other owners (Catalina, Hunter, Saber, Tartan, etc.) and surveyors, and they have made similar comments and observations.  As it was explained to us, sailboats are the largest consumer product, still fundamentally made mostly by hand...and to expect a few imperfections.  Know this does not resolve your problems and the bad feelings, but wanted to pass on our experience and the counsel of others.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

willie

Joe Kern

Follow-up:  Not sure what progress others have had with regard to the gelcoat issues along the stern, but I wanted to post an update. 

As I previously indicated I reported this to my dealer in Georgia.  He must have spoken to Catalina as promised as I got a call from a couple who do Catalina warranty work along the East coast.  They said Frank Butler asked them to contact me about seeing the boat and coordinating repairs.  Probably won't happen until October.  At this point I don't have anything else for the warranty list but I will be looking as the warranty expires in November.

To the others on the list with 2005/06 boats with the gelcoat problem I would definitively follow-up with your broker.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

foursailing

I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 C34.  I noticed the same spider webs in the same exact location as indicated in Joe's picture (thanks for the pictures Joe) and now where else on the boat.  I thouhgt they might have been caused by the swim ladder since one set of webs appears to coincide where the ladder rests against the stern, however there was another set about a foot or so away.
I just had the boat surveyed and pointed this out to the surveyor.  He did not seem too concerned - and agreed that it most likely occurred from either the swim ladder or a minor impact.
As I understand it, there are 2 causes for these types of cracks - either through some impact, or by the fiberglass flexing due to some stress on the hull - the fiberglass flexes but the gelcoat can't and therefore cracks.
It seems highly unlikely that that each of these boats were impacted in the same location.  So it appears they were caused by some stress on the hull in that area - maybe by an overweight swimmer climbing on the ladder?
If it was caused by something other than a one time impact, grinding and re-applying new gelcoat will only be temporary, since the next time the hull flexes the webs will reapear.  As I understand it, the area must also be reinforced from the inside with additional mat / glass to strengthen. 

Anyway, I am now a little more concerned.  Should I be?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ