grau nonslid paint

Previous topic - Next topic

kdexter

We have a couple of chips in the gray, non-skid of our 1989.  My husband wants to spruce it up - Interlux doesn't seem match the gray.  Anyone know what the best match is?

SteveLyle

The non-skid isn't paint, it's gelcoat.

You can get gray gelcoat from the Catalina factory, and also probably from Catalina Direct.  What they will sell you is the liquid, tinted,  polyester resin- which is what gelcoat is.  It won't be a perfect match for your deck, which has been weathering/oxidizing for 17 years, but it'll be close.

Then to use it you'll need catalyst (which you can get from West Marine, or several online suppliers - use 10 drops/ounce) and some sort of filler to turn it into a paste (which is what you'll want to do if the chips are deep).  Best filler for that purpose is Cab-O-Sil, which has the benefit of taking on the color of the liquid (i.e., it doesn't affect the color as you mix it in, which some other fillers will do).  If all you want to do is use the gelcoat like paint, then the gelcoat and catalyst is all you need.

Ron Hill

KD : I found that the best match in PAINT for small dings in the gray anti skid is some model paint. 
The Testers (sp?) is "VODO Gray".  It's a gloss, but the shine wears off fast and then paint is a good match.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788