Cabinet latches for a Mk II?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

I've suffered the first failure of one of the rotating-knob type of cabinet latches in the cabin. The knob simply snapped off for no apparent reason (no, I was not using it for a torque wrench test). I expect this is not covered under warranty but have a call out to the dealer anyway.

Specifically, it's one of the chrome knobs with 2 indentations and has what looks like the word MOBELLA on the black casing and appears to be from Sweden. The hole in the door is 1 1/2" across. I managed to get it open & remove the "guts", but would prefer to replace it so all the stuff in the cabinet stays there.  :abd:

I searched in the archives for info on a source (other than Catalina) but came up dry. Does anyone know of an alternate site to get them? I figure I'll order several spares as Mr. Murphy probably is hiding on board again.

Thanks,
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

John Sheehan

Jeff.  We also have had problems with the latches.  So far four have broken.  Our dealer replaced two under warranty but now I need to get some more.  Catalina sells them for around $25 each.  Sure would like to find an alternate source or more importantly a different design as the ones on the boat are of a weak design. Hopefully some one else here has a better answer.
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Stu Jackson

One of my favorite marine stores, with better prices, is my local Ace Hardware store.

I've found replacement hinges and other material for our MarkI there at considerably lower cost.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jeff : The failure of those latches is probably caused by the wider transom of the MkII !!  Because the interior cabinetry is essentially identical to that o the MK I, the stretching of the aft portion of the hull is causing the latches to prematurely fail!!         Smile (got-ya)!

I agree with Stu that you should look a local hardware store/Home Depot/Lowe's for a replacement latch that'll work in the HOLE that you have.   
@ 25 dollars a pop for a new latch, that should make the Captain restrict the use of those doors!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Lanzilli

Jeff I would write to "Lenore Collins [Lenore@catalinayachts.com]" she has helped me in the past identify the company they purchase their equipment from.  The latch in question is nice to look at but not really made well, the supplier to Catalina may be able to get you the part at a better price.  At the same time Lenore may be able to address the product quality issue for all of us.  Let us know how you make out.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Jeff_McKinney

Catalina (Leonore) & my dealer (Sail Annapolis) worked together and are going to send me a couple of latches for free. Ain't customer support grand when it works?  :clap
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Tom Lanzilli

OK so now I have a broken latch.  Catalina Direct told me they do not carry them.  Can I ask where you can find these latches and the part number?
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Tom Lanzilli

Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT