Storage of Sails

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

Reading the literature on the Dutch Furling System, it prefers that the sail (main) not be removed, and that if it is, to remove it with the mono in place.  Since I have ordered a cover for the winter which rests on the boom, I don't intend to remove the main, leaving the furling system intact.  Any Problems?

Then, I intend to remove and store the jenny.  It would be easier to leave it up, and furled.  Any thoughts as to leaving it up?

Peter

Ted Pounds

I'm not sure whee you're storing, but here in Chicago the winter winds can get nasty.  I see no problem storing the main on the boom as long as you add some extra ties to make sure the cover stays on.  It's probably better to have the sail flaked on the boom than rolled in a tight bundle.  I would take the jib down though.  That way you can look it over to see if it needs any repair.  Also if you don't have a sunbrella leach cover (as many don't these days) the sun will do a lot of damage to your leech.  Mine was damaged from just the summer exposure (the sail maker that did the repair added one).  Lastly if the jib comes unrolled while the boat is on the hard your boat could be in a world of hurt.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ed Shankle

Some marinas require that the sails be removed before haulout to avoid problems like unfurling.
Even if there aren't any, your genny will take a beating from sun and weather.
I view the winter as good time to turn my sails over to the local Doyle's loft. They wash inspect, repair (there are always some threads needing replacement)and store for the season. Prices are reasonable and you avoid the crunch in the spring if you find a problem at launching time.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roc

I take the main off WITH the Dutchman system intact.  Take off the topping lift line that has the monofilaments connected to it.  There should be a tie off point at the upper end.  The upper end shackle is connected to the Topping lift line that runs through the mast with a bowline.  The bottom end is connected to the end of the boom.  You can take this off and leave behind the line that runs into the mast.  Flake the sail and store the topping lift line w/Dutchman system in the sail bag.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

chudave

I have done both, meaning I have pulled the main with the Dutchman monofiliment line in, as well as pulling it out by losening the disks at the bottom of the sail.

I think the key thing is to have everything marked so it goes together the same in the spring.  I find adjusting them difficult.  You need to mark where the black gizmo's are located on the topping lift, as well as mark the monofiliment length to the disk.