Selecting year for open transom 34

Previous topic - Next topic

sgjii

I am looking for a good used open transom Cat 34, fin keel, probably tall rig. 

Is there any real significant difference between say 90 and 93 models?  Do all these have keel stepped masts?   Anything special to look for in these year boats?

Stu Jackson

Is there any real significant difference between say 90 and 93 models? 

No, see BROCHURES at: http://www.c34.org/brochures.html

Do all these have keel stepped masts? 

No, see a search result at:   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1406.0
Search on the word "stepped" and there are many more discussions.

Anything special to look for in these year boats?

Sure, see a recent post from just a few days ago:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2770.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

We have a 1990, C34, standard keel and rig, sail number 1023.  The mast is stepped on the keel.  She has a closed transom, but with an integral swim platform.  We had originally sought an open transom, but compromised.  We have sailed her now for 2 years and are VERY happy with the arrangement.  We anchor alot and are always in the water...the swim platform makes the process of donning fins, masks, etc., very easy, while the closed transom makes the aft stiffer and provides additional locker storage. Our understanding is that very few C34s were built with this configuration.  If you come across one and she is in reasonable condition, suggest you consider her.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

sgjii

Thanks Stu and Stephen, but I am really looking for any subtle differences between the 90 to 93 years of open transom boats.

I owned a Catalina 30 for 17 years, and   I read all of the info on the 88  C-34 boats.  I am assuming there are some other differences  with the 90 to 93's. Perhaps there is really very little difference for the three or four years between 90 and 93 or 94.

Ron Hill

Sg : 1990 was the first year for the walk thru transom, infact you paid more to get that option. In 1991 all C34s had the walk thru transom.  There are only a few 1993s and all of the 1990-93 have a keel stepped mast.  The 1993s have little to no teak on the outside.  Some 1990s may have the 3 cylinder 23hp engine while all of the others have the M35A 30hp engine.
Other than that they're all the same old C34!! 
If you can find one like Steve's got BUY IT!! -- as it's the best of both worlds.  BTW, Steve you'd better watch your transom, as I might sneak by and steal it!!
Hope this helps in your selection.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

sailingdolphin

One thing I noticed on my neighbors 1992,  he has davits on the back with a inflatable and engine on the inflatable
and when he is motoring his exhaust goes below the waterline.
Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

Most C34s, even without davits, have this tendency.  The stern squats at high motor RPMs.  It is not unusual.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Doug : Stu's right about the MKIs exhaust being mostly under the water when motoring.  Maybe that's why Catalina changed the engine exhaust exit higher and more on to the port side in the MK II hull ? 
At least the MkIs exhaust "bubbles in the water" - don't know if that's good or bad for the stains on the hull?   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Bubble, bubble

Black no trouble

As long as your muffler, exhaust riser, hoses, HX and raw water impeller are in good shape, even with your transom exhaust point underwater, all you'll need to do is clean a bit on the port side, aft.