Water leak at mast base

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

Our 2001 boat has the mast stepped on the cabin top with the compression post inside the cabin between the keel and the overhead.  This is our fourth winter and this is the first time I have seen water leaking in around the top of the compression post.  It is leaking around the outside of the post.

I know water gets in the mast and must run out the bottom on the outside somehow.  I also know that the wiring from the mast comes throught the cabin top and down through pole.  I would assume there is something inside the mast/ont the cabin top, that normally keeps the water from getting through into the cabin

Any ideas as to why this would start leaking now and the remady to stop it?  I would hope I would not have to unstep the mast as we keep our boat in the water all year and do not unstep the mast.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jeff_McKinney

This does not sound good. Although I'm no expert I'd be concerned about leaks where the wiring goes through the cabin top. The other problem is if any water is geting in the core material between the cabin top & inner surface (overhead). The other culprit might be any fasteners for the base plate.

Good luck!
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Jack Hutteball

Wow, this is the first time I have seen this board stumped.  I must be the only one out there with a leaking deck stepped mast!  I checked the owners manual and there are no drawings as to how the mast actually sits on the deck.  There appears to be a SS plate and a plastic shim then what appears to be a casting of some sort.  there are no exposed bolt heads or screws at the base of the mast.  The only bolts in this area are the pad eyes for the turning blocks and they are away from the mast step and not leaking.

There appears to be some drain holes at the base of the mast above the casting.  I probed them with an ice pick and they appear to be clear, but no water comming out after a day of rain.  (Some water inside though)

Has anyone unstepped their deck stepped mast and could give me an idea or sketch of the assembly and how water might enter in this area?

Thanks,
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Jack

All good observations.  One of the reasons you may not have received a reply is that a lot of us have keel stepped masts, so no help there.

Why not call Gerry Douglas at Catalina Yachts.  He'll know how it is built.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Thanks Stu
I'm thinking there must not be a lot of cabin stepped masts out there.  I did not know there was an option when we purchased oue 34.  We were so excited to buy it we just couldn't wait to sail it away, and have not regretted a moment of it.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ron Hill

Jack : There were about 1200+ keel stepped masts in the C34 fleet.

Catalina can FAX you a drawing of the deck mast fitting that you're interested in.  Call Jerry Douglas on the phone.  He doesn't do well with Email or letters.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Just for kicks, try this:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1406.0

Once they started making the Mk IIs, it's all deck stepped.

A search on "stepped" gets lots of background info.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jack Hutteball

The owner of the company actually takes phone calls?  I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ted Pounds

They sure do take calls.   :clap  When I had a question about my C25 I talked to both Frank Butler and Gerry Douglas.  Later I talked to Gerry about the rusty water weeping from my C34 rudder.  Their willingness to talk to owners is one of the many great things about owning a Catalina.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Jack

I've been meaning to find and post this for you, from an older Catalina advertisement.

sail4dale

I had such a leak that showed itself by dripping under the port window :?:

By running water for a while I found it was coming in around the mast base.  I ran some caulking/sealer around the mast base and I haven't seen this for the past two years. 

Dale
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Jack Hutteball

Thank you Stu and Dale.  Catalina did send me an exploded view of the mast base in larger scale than you have Stu, but your drawing actually explains it better as it shows the cabin top.  It appears to correct it right that I will have to pull the mast, something I am not looking forward to.  Dale, when you sealed around the base of the mast was it right at the base of the bottom SS plate where it meets the fiberglass or up above the SS plate where the casting sits on top of the plastic spacer and SS plate? Or possibly all of above.  Were you able to keep a small bead, and what kind of sealant did you use?

Thanks, Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

sail4dale

Wow, now you are testing my memory.  It's  just as good as ever but it just isn't as long. 

As I recall, i just ran a small bead around where the plate meets the fiberglass.  I figured if it still leaked I'd do more later.  As to the sealer, I bought some sealer from West Marine (who else?) and it was a sealer that was supposed to stay flexible and not totally bond to the fiberglass like I've experienced in some window installations by Catalina.  It think it might have been ..... Boatlife Life Caulk.  Don't have the leftover tube as it did age out.  It could have been a silicone caulk but I think the Boatlife was my final decision. 

I cut the tip so I got a small bead that doesn't really show on the deck. 

Sorry I couldn't be more exact.

Dale
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Jack Hutteball

thanks Dale, I'll give it a shot.  Anything to eliminate pulling the mast until I really need to.  So far it is just a few drops when it really rains hard, but as in your case, it may be going somewhere else that I have not seen yet.  I would think that all boat manufacturers would have solid fiberglass around any bolt holes through the hull or deck to eliminate any chance of leaking water migrating under the skin.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington