rudder removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

as the season up here in the northeast,boston, rapidly comes to an end, i am faced with removing the rudder to send to catalina for a new one. when i bought #219,1986 tall rig shallow draft, end of last season, the surveyor used a term he coined as "rust blowout" coming from the leading edge of the rudder and a few other spots. he said the percussion sound was good but that in the near future i should replace the rudder. as i am now completing my first season,btw, she has greatly surpassed all my expectations as far as speed, performance and comfort, i plan to drop the rudder at the end of the season, while on the travel lift. i have read all the past posts about this but no one actually explained how to do it. i know that the bolt thru the rudder post cap must be removed and the bolt thru the steering quadrant must be removed but how do i get to the quad.? do i remove the panel in the aft cabin? ron mentioned that the aft water tank might have to be moved or removed? if any one could detail exactly how the rudder should be removed, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

SteveLyle

Open the aft lazarette/locker lid.  Look down.  you'll see a plywood panel, fastened to what look like (and probably are) 2*4's with 4 ss screws with finishing washers.  Remove the screws and washers, and the panel, and you'll see the steering quadrant underneath it.

Climb on in there and go at it.

Ron Hill

Jeff : You need to check, but most of the 1986s don't have an aft water tank.  This is not a problem anyway.  
As Steve said you need to remove the plywood shelf (and the propane box - if you have one).
Then you can get at the bolt that holds the steering quadrant (loosen the cables first) to release it.  Take off the emergency tiller cap and the rudder should slide down.  
You'll need to dig a hole or have the travel lift hoist the boat up.  There have been some posts about a diver doing this in the water - you might want to read.  
I personally prefer land for this task.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

thanks ron and steve, i did notice the ply structure and wondered what lied beneath. over the weekend i will take a better look. the boat does have an aft water tank and the job will most definitely happen out of water . thanks again for the responce...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma