Full Cockpit Enclosure

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray & Sandy Erps

Our dodger is about to split at the seams.  It's probably 15 years old, so time to replace it.  We're thinking about a full cockpit enclosure.  Paul was kind enough to send me some pictures of his outfit and whether he thought it was worthwhile or not.  Looking for additional input from boats with patios.

We use our boat year 'round and this is our first boat with a dodger (just love it, don't know how we got along without one for so long).  We're thinking after we got used to climbing in and out of the patio that we would come to appreciate the warmth and dryness during the dark months up here in the Pacific Northwest.  On the other hand, if we took the cost of the new patio and converted it to one dollar bills, we might be able to burn the money under our existing rain fly to keep the chill off for several months.

So what's your experience?  Got any good pictures?
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Footloose

We have a cockpit enclosure that zips onto our dodger.  I don't know who made it as it came from the PO.  Most likely it was Catalina as the boat was pretty much equiped as it came ot of the box.  It has a stainess pole that goes behind the backstay.  This supports the roof.  There are then panels that zip and snap into place around the cockpit combing.  It works well and take about ten minutes to put it up.  Our panels have mosquito netting which greatly reduces airflow and increases tempurature.  We also have panels with plastic windows but haven't used them.  I imagine they would raise the temp more with no air passage.

Over all it is a big plus.  It gets you out of the sun while at anchor.  I don't like sailing with a bimini as I can't look up and see how the sails are trimed.  It keeps the bugs out but if it is a warm evening it is warmer with the enclosure up.  It also keeps this dry is there is dew.  If you are at anchor during the day the side panels can be removed and the roof panel used as a bimini.

The down side is that is one more thing to store.  The panels aren't bad but the pole gets in the way.  My plan over the winter is to cut it in one or two places so that it can be stored in a locker somewhere. I will probally use a sleeve to put it back together.  (Has anyone done this?)  Also it is one more thing to put up and take down.  

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

john meyer

Ray, the PO installed our unit.  He called it a "camper back" - don't know if that was his term or something official.  Basically its a bimini that zips to the dodger and has seven additional panels that zip to the bimini and attach to the boat.  The entire unit is inside of the aft stays.  Other than the previous mentioned down side of storage, we are definitely thumbs up on the concept, particularly in the Northwest.  The unit has cutouts for the running rigging, but I've never sailed with the complete enclosure - I view it more for motoring and or at dock/anchor.  It definitely turns our boat into a four season cabin and if I were to choose to install it during the summer (which I don't), I could have a sauna too.