Anchor roller

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

OK, I'm ready to do a two step upgrade at the bow. I want to install a bow roller for a 35 lb Delta Anchor (I now use a 22 lb Delta which I keep in the locker) and then I want to add a windless because I'm getting too old to dead lift 35 pounds over the side. Any thoughts on types of installation? Do I mount the new roller arm beside the existing twin bow rollers?

Thanks, Jerry

Ron Hill

Jerry : If you will LOOK in the projects page, your CD given to you when you joined the C34IA OR the Tech notes on line - you'll find an article (with pictures) that I wrote on adding a bow roller to my 1988!!  Think I did that back in 1994?  SAME as your 1987 or 1986.  It's been great and would do nothing different.  The article tells you which bow roller to buy and how to do the job.
It almost makes a writer that has solved a problem (and written it up) feel like they have wasted their time.  Especially since you've been around our message board for awhile, I'm sure that you've learned to navigate our site by now.

Do MUCH reading on all of the windless installations that we have on this web site.  Then decide on which installation you like.  Pick and choose carefully for your needs.

A TON of info is in our web site - just for your reading!!!    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

I'm looking to do the same project this winter.  Catalina Direct advertises a roller that  is designed to match up with the holes on our 34s.  It also looks like it is cut down on the sides to fit near the center cleat.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Gene Regan

Thinking of the same project for Freedom in the off season. I'll contact the Catalina direct tech dept tomorrow and post any info I recieve. And Ron in that some members who recently joined, ie this initial posts member, we may want to be a bit more cordial in our responses. We've been over this turf before . Thank you

Stu Jackson

Anchor/bow rollers are discussed in the following Tech Notes:

May 95 - Ron's original article, with picture
Nov 87, Feb 89, May 92, Nov 97 and Feb 99.

I got these more easily than the main website search engine as I've earlier suggested, by copying the tech notes index into a word processing program, and using the wp's search feature (F2 or CNTL F).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Fogelgren #718 '88

On the anchor roller thing.  The anchor roller from Catalina Direct does NOT bolt on the previous holes for the 1986-88 Catalina 34s; it is not cut out around the big cleat--I think it is the same as the garhauer model AR-30 without the holes and backing plate(garhauer is $119).  Also although Ron may be very happy with his roller it appears that his anchor may hit his bow sometimes and hence the "band-aide" patch on the bow in his boat's picture.  Seems as if one that projected the anchor out farther might be better.
 I have be thinking that things may have changed over the years and there may be a better choice for a roller on a 1986-88. I think that a Kingston model QR-22 or QR-22L at $119 might be a better choice for a Delta. It is narrow and has something to keep the anchor from swinging around.
  If any of you have had experience with the Kingston please write, I am not speaking from experience because I still have not put on the roller, but I would like to know.  Putting a new roller on is a job that one only wants to do once !  I do not want to find out that "I should have used a different model".    John Fogelgren #718

Ron Hill

John : There have been some articles in the Mainsheet on the Kingston bow roller.

As I mentioned in that article I wrote - I called Windline and asked for their advice.  It was Windline that suggested the narrow roller as that was what Catalina was buying from them to put on the C34's!!  Granted the 1989 and subsequent are slightly different, but it works and works well.  My "band-aide" patch was a "just in case" and has NEVER been hit by the anchor.  When you're the trailblazer, you do a belt and suspenders job.  BTW, the closest any of the 3 "flukes" on my Bruce 33 come to the bow is 7 inches!  I was more worried about it swinging when raisinng it - turned out to be a NONproblem.

Don't know which roller Catalina Direct is using, but one thing is for sure - it's NOT theirs (they're a middleman).  There have been some posts on using the Garhauer roller.  I thought the narrow Windline gave a straight on installation, it super STRONG and allows for a split well for an second anchor rode.  

Suggest that you do your installation and write it up with pictures and send it to Steve for the Mainsheet.  Then to Mark for Projects.  We need some variety.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788