Broken Lifeline Stanchion

Previous topic - Next topic

dmorrison

One of the lifeline stanchions on my 1988 #767 is broken where the tube is welded to the base.  It's the stanchion forward of the one with the water tank vent on the starboard side. Does anyone know the part number and the best place to get an exact replacement stanchion?  Is it the Garhauer part # ST-58 that I see listed in their online catalog for $48.40?  Thanks.

Norris Johnson

I bought one about two years ago from Catalina for about 50 bucks. I called them direct. I don't have their ph. # with me, but it should be easy to find on their website or maybe someone will respond to these posts.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dan : I don't know how bad the brake is, but it might be weldable.  
Also you might browze our web site.  You'll find we have many items listed to include a C34 Parts List.
Also remember that the company that made your boat is still in business and their parts dept is very help full.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

dmorrison

Thanks Ron, Stu and Norris for your help.  I think I will order a new one from Catalina, rather than try to get it welded.  

The stanchion got bent last winter, my first winter with this boat.  We had an unusually harsh Maine winter, many feet of snow.  I had not adequately supported the tarp to protect the stanchions, and I had not made the slope steep enough to be sure all the snow would slide off.  So snow collected on the tarp, causing it to sag and collect more snow.  The snow then turned to water, then to ice, back to water, etc.  The silver/green poly tarp I used was remarkably strong and withstood all that weight, which was unfortunate, because the weight caused two of the stanchions to bend inward.  In the spring, I bent the stanchions back (with my bare hands, btw :wink:) which seemed to work just fine, for a while.  But a couple of weeks ago I noticed that one stanchion had developed a crack in the weld at the base and was no longer strong enough to stand up straight.  I suspect that this may not have been the first time the stanchion had been bent back, and it was likely already suffering from some metal fatigue.

All of this leads to my next question.  Has anyone developed the ultimate winter frame and cover for use in snowy northern climates?  In the yard where we store for the winter, all masts are removed (can't get to the yard with the mast up).  I've seen various frames made from PVC pipe, metal conduit, and all kinds of lumber.  Most are then covered with shrink wrap.  I would prefer a cover that is inexpensive, easy to install, and reusable.  And I want a frame that is easy to assemble, is guaranteed to shed snow, and that allows room underneath to get around while doing all those winter projects that I have on my list.

Or, when the weather begins to get cold up here, am I better off to just turn to the boat south and keep sailing?

Ed Shankle

Dan,
I'm in MA and ran into the bent stanchion issue early on in my ownership. My solution was, when winterizing, to remove the lifelines, make holes for the stanchions in the wintercover and bring the cover down to the toerail edge.
I've made a frame from PVC pipe, and it works great. My cover is the silver poly which is much more durable than the blue. I've used the same cover for the last 5 years and I'll use it again this year. I did some customizations to it to make it fit better. If I take the mast down for the winter, I just patch over the mast cutout.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roland Gendreau

Gratitude had 2 bent stanchions when I bought her. I tried to order them  from Catalina Direct but one of them was back ordered so I canceled the order and ordered that one from Garhauer.  

To be honest, the one from Garhauer seemed to have a nicer finish and was actually less expensive.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI