Prop Replacement Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick McCall

Hi, I am replacing my current 3 blade prop and need the following existing specs for a 1987 with the M25 engine
Transmission Reduction Ratio
Stock prop size and pitch.

Thanks

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick McCall1987 with the M25 engine
Transmission Reduction Ratio
Stock prop size and pitch.

1.  go to http://www.c34ia.org/faq-pages/faq-transmission-position-sailing.html

2.  15x9 or 15x10 sailors prop - could also do a search here on "props"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Rick : Why are you replacing your existing 3 bladed prop?  BTW, with a 1987 boat I believe that your engine is an M25XP.

To answer your questions:
The transmission is a 2:1 ratio
The stock 3 bladed prop OEM was a "Sailor" style 15" diameter x 9" pitch.

Most everyone has increased the pitch by 1 to 1.5 inches.    :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick McCall

Thanks for the help. I had done the search but I wanted to confirm the final numbers. I am replacing the prop because it has suffered from electrolysis and I wanted a feathering prop. I am looking at the 3  blade Max Prop.

sail4dale

Be sure to look at the Flexofold.  The price is a lot better and their cooperation is great.  I just put one on and it has been a great addition to my sailing speed.  I had a 3 blade fixed
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Ron Hill

Rick : The Max prop has/had fixed detent adjustable settings - that's the good news.  The bad new is that with a M25XP you either have too much or not enough - on the pitch settings!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick McCall

Thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate all further advice. I've searched the site on folding / feathering props and read the advice. Local boaters have suggested the max prop but if if won't work for my 1987 Hull #243 then I certainly don't want it. My current prop is a campbell sailer but I am not happy with it's performance in reverse, plus the PO had the wrong pitch and when it was re-pitched the reverse performance was so bad you can't go to Starboard with the wheel hard over and 2000rpm, still goes to port. It also has significant corrosion issues so I need to replace it.  I see just a couple of options the flex o fold (which nobody out here - Victoria BC has much experience with) or the Max Prop. I don't want to go to another fixed blade because if I'm switching I want to get the prop I'll be happy with for the next 10 years.

Ken Juul

Might want to look at the Kiwi Feathering.  Whole lot cheaper than an all metal prop.  Westbynorth which I think is out of Vancouver is a dealer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

rirvine

Rick:

I have a 3 bladed Max Prop on my Mark II (M35 Engine) and am very happy with it.   Some things that you should note:

A. They can be a little difficult to get the feather

B. They are very susceptible to electrolysis. They have a zinc (which you can only get from Max Prop) on the end of the shaft.

C. They can only be adjusted out of the water

D. They are not the lowest cost folding/feathering prop option

E.  They work equally well forward and reverse with reduce prop walk in reverse.

Rick McCall

I have been in contact with Kiwi and been given the following recommendation:

Hi Rick,
Sorry for the delay, The factory confirms the choice of propeller for your
installation. We would build you a 15 1/2" dia (actual 16") Kiwiprop set
for 21 degrees of pitch. This KiwiProp would be set up for a 1" SAE taper,
Right Hand (RH) turning in "ahead".

The price for the prop is $1250.00 USD, shipped to your door.

Options are:
1. Courier delivery (usually within one week) - $50 USD
2. Spare blade(s) - $100 USD each.

If you would like to order, please call me at (250) 715-6450.
Cheers,
John Marchant
KiwiProps North America

Are there any other owners of Kiwi props with the M25 that can confirm if this is what you use? And also what your experience has been.

Thanks

Ken Juul

An interesting thread I found on the HunterOwners site.  Don't throw rocks please, my dock mates all have Hunters, I try to keep up with things for them.

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=3&uid=73198836944&SKU=2005150141828.4
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick McCall

Ok, I just got the following response from Flex-o-Fold:

Rick:
Your boat should use either a 15x10 RH 2-blade Flex-O-Fold ($880 plus freight) or a 15x9 RH 3-blade ($1405 plus freight).  Both are in stock.  

One would choose a 2-blade because, in flat water, it will reach a higher speed for any given RPM.  It will also have lower drag and will cost less.  The 3-blade Flex-O-Fold will perform better in maneuvers around the docks, in forward and reverse, will attain a higher average speed against a head sea, and will stop the boat quicker.  The 3-blade may also be a little smoother running if there is a problem with vibration.

If you purchase a Flex-O-Fold, you will be joining a rapidly growing number of boat owners enjoying the performance benefits of the Flex-O-Fold under sail and power.  You will also be making the same decision over 39 builders of quality boats, around the world, have made when they specify Flex-O-Fold as standard equipment or recommended options.  That list includes Swan, Morris Yachts, J-Boats, Hylas Yachts, X-Yachts, Malo and Najad.  Recently, Hallberg-Rassy and Beneteau have begun purchasing Flex-O-Fold Propellers for their most popular models

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to order.
Chuck Angle, Flex-O-Fold

Does this pitch and size seem correct for an 87 with the M25XP? This is actually looking like to get. I'd appreciate any comments from people with the prop. Especially those with my vintage of boat and motor.

Steve S.

Rick:

I got the 3 blade 15 x 9, and I couldn't be happier.  If you search under flex-o-fold you'll see my recent post on all the advantages.  Better speed at lower rpm, less prop walk, less engine vibration, and better speed under sail.
I had the 3 blade fixed before and you can feel the difference.   Easy installation (once you get the old 3 blade off!)

Good luck choosing,

Steve
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Rick McCall

Thanks, I had read your advantages article before. I wanted to confirm the vendor had spec'd the right prop for my engine. For the price and the reviews by you and others on this site I think I'm going to go with it.