Reefing - Attach. Method to Boom

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I want to do the main reefing modification using the blocks near each of the grommets.  I've found directions on this but nothing specific on how to attach a new block and a new fixed tie point to the boom.  

I'd appreciate advice on what type of screws to use to avoid corrosion, use of any insulation material between the block and boom, size and type of hardware to be secure and withstand the stress, etc...  

Thanks,

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

reedbr

The first time I typed this reply and submitted it, the system logged me off and lost the post.  I'm sure it won't be as good the second time!

I was just on a C380 going through survey.  It has a reefing line setup that sounds like what you are describing.  The reef line followed the standard path up the mast, into the he boom, out the end of the boom and up to the reefing clew.  At the reefing clew there was a small pulley attached to the clew using a ring on the opposite side.  The stainless steel ring was bigger than the clew so it wouldn't pull through.  The reefing line continued through the pulley straight down to the boom.  There the line was simply tied around the boom using a bowline.  Since the foot of the sail has a bolt rope, there was just a single grommet added to the sail to allow the line to pass through and be tied off.  It looked inexpensive and effective.  I'm thinking of doing the same to mine.

I hope that helps.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Roc

Paul,
Check this out.  It's on the C380 site.

www.catalina380.org/article_display.asp?ID=114
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

reedbr

Paul-

What's funny is that hull # is the exact boat I was on during the survey.  The article is by the previous owner.  The pictures on that page are the exact system I was trying to describe.  

"It's a small world" is playing in my head right now...
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD