Fuel Filters & Pickup Screens

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

Grab Nose and Jump In
First of all, THANKS to all of you who responded to my ? on engine stall problem. From what I gather its a common problem for some. After no return calls from so called mechanics in San Diego I'm going to attempt to find the problem myself even tho I have to drive 6 hrs. to the boat. Unless I missed it in the tech notes is there an explanation for dummies how to troubleshoot the filters and make the change if deemed necessary. Which one to ck. first, second etc. and in which direction do  they turn to replace? I said for dummies don't forget. Also how do you ck. and discard the screen on the pickup tube which seems to be the thing to do according to the general consensus of everyone? Thanks for your help once again. Ron Schere

Stu Jackson

The pickup screen removal is discussed in the May 1996 and May 1998 issues of TECH NOTES.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ron : beside the screen being removed from the end make sure that at the end of the aluminum tube that there's a 4/5" piece of 3/8" fuel hose attached.  The Al tube only goes down to about 3 inches from the bottom of the tank.  The flexible hose is attached so it curves and lays on the bottom.  That way you pick up the fuel from the bottom and don't have a stagnate zone for all of the junk/water to collect in.
Then the filter can do it's job.
Ron, Apache #788