Fuel Tank advice for new owner

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

There has been much mentioned on this forum regarding sludge /bacteria problems with older fuel tanks and the subsequent removal and cleaning of the tanks.  Any advise from the seasoned veterans to an owner of a new boat?  While the problems mentioned (sludge, screens in the pick up tubes, etc.) are probably unavoidable in the long run what would early and ongoing procedures would you recommend implementing from the get go to delay or minimize future problems.  If location is a factor as I suspect it is, I live/sail in Southern New England waters.

David, Prints of Tides; #1707
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

sselinger

I have just completed pulling my tank this year on my 1990 "Aquila". For the entire 15 years, as far as I can tell, the owners have used a biocide, Biobore, and when I inspected the tank the sludge was non existent. Only a slight bit left in the fuel in the tank, but it poured out when the tank was tipped to drain the last bits.

I would highly recommend that all owners use some kind of biocide with every fill-up.

BTW the boat has sailed on the Great Lakes it's entire life.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Jim Price

Everybody has an opinion so here is another one.  My diesel mechanic told me to never add any "killing" agents to the fuel, just add "dryers" / water inhibitors.  His idea was that when you kill all the bad guys, they ultimately become the sludge that stops everything up.  If you keep the fuel water free, then the bugs cannot live to start with and no bugs, no, bodies, less potential for sludge.

Opinion # 4,459    :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Steve : Consider yourself very Lucky on having such a clean tank!!  
As I mentioned we used to remove the fuel tanks from jet engine aircraft every 1000hrs, turn them inside out and clean them.  They burned a hell of alot more fuel than your Universal could ever dream of!!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

there is a chemical company the produces excellent diesel fuel additives called fppf. the products are widely used by trucking companies and can be found in most truck parts supply stores. i have been dealing with diesel mechanics for over 25 years and all who have used the product, i used to sell it, swear by it. i suggest you get a product called bio-side to kill the algae and another called fuel power which will remove water, increase the cetane rating, clean the injectors and greatly improve the fuel. when i bought my c34, 1986, last aug. and brought her home from r.i. to ma. the first thing i did was to add a couple of ounces of bioside and a pint of fuel power. the boat was on a mooring for almost a year before i took possession. we were concerned about the fuel, but the engine run perfect and burned very little fuel  in the 20 hrs. it took to get home. i am a firm believer in fuel additives. fuel cond. should be added with each fill. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ken Juul

When you say new boat do you mean brand new or just new to you?

If just new to you, the past owners if you can locate them should be able to give you a history of the fuel system.

If brand new, ask the dealer to inspect the system.  A dockmate took possession of a new H36 last spring.  It sat on the dealers lot for about 8 months with about 5 gals of fuel in the tank, it was not treated with anything.  Late last summer her engine quit while motoring in 25kts with 4-5 ft seas.  After being towed to port her racor was totally plugged with black slime (algae?).  She ended pumping about a gallon of black unusable fuel/water out of the bottom of her tank.  Dealer claimed she must have left or fuel cap off or sprayed water down the vent while cleaning the boat.  Reply's on the Huntersowners site, suggest it was probably condensation as the boat sat over the winter.  I'd have it inspected and add the additives mentioned.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

David

Congratulations on your brand new boat.  As a new owner, Catalina provides you with your first year C34IA membership, which your dealer may have neglected to tell you about.

Given Ken's story, check your fuel filter, check to see if the electric fuel pump is plumbed in after the fuel filter, and make sure you keep your fuel tank full and treated with biocide and water 'zorb.  Do searches on fuel and filters on this site, check the main C34 website and read the FAQs, and enjoy your first season.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

Thanks Ken and Stu.  The boat is brand new but and because of the lousy spring weather here in New England the boat has not yet been commissioned by dealer.  She has been in the water for a week but the winds are so high that putting up the mast is out of the question.  The boat was delivered from Catalina back in January and the fuel tank was either empty or more likely had just the couple of gallons of fuel present now.  As you suggest I will check out the filters and make sure to add bioside and zorb? ...
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707