Oberdorfer impeller pump

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

I know there has been lots of post about the Oberdorfer water pump and it's impeller. and I have read several of them. My question has to do with the little C shape clip-ring that fits into the groove on the shaft.  I can not locate the special tool that fits into the little holes at the end of the clip. It's a tool like a pliers that opens the clip when you squeeze the handle. It's used to take off and replace the clip without bending it. Maybe a small sharp needle nose pliers may work with a little luck.
My question is, why do I have to replace the clip. The impeller can't really go anywhere. It may hit the inside of the flange, but that should not hurt anything. SHOULD IT? :oops:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Vaccaro

Dave,

The tool you're looking for is a snap ring pliers.  They are available at any hardware store.  They come in various sizes, or they have removable bits to accomodate various size rings.  One size does not fit all!  

This is one of those cases where the right tool is the key to doing the job!

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Stu Jackson

Dave

I don't have one of those tools.  I have always been able to get it off with two small flat bladed screwdrivers.  Just have to be careful that when it comes off it doesn't fly across the cabin!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SteveLyle

Try to borrow a pair of pliers, or use two ice picks.  Then, when it's time to reinstall, leave the snap ring off.  It's totally pointless over-engineering.  As long as the pump cover doesn't come off, the impeller isn't going anywhere, with or without that snap ring.  It's just one more thing you have to deal with should you ever need to replace the impeller in a hurry.

Ron Hill

Dave : You can use a small flat tip screw driver to pop off that "C" clip.  You can also use a slipjoint pliers to snap it back on.  If you don't have the correct "C" clip tool.

To answer your question - you really don't need that "C" clip as the impeller or the shaft isn't going anywhere once the faceplate is reinstalled!!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788