City Water Hook up

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I am thinking about hooking my boat directly to city water; no doubt others have done the same.  The only place I could find to locate the hook up/pressure regulator is on the starboard/stern side of the walk through transom just above the seat.  Anyone have another suggestion?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Mike Smith

David -

If you do this, make sure to turn off the water supply when you are not on the boat.  Several years ago, I had a friend who almost sank his Erickson 35 when the fitting failed and the boat was flooded.  I installed a city water fitting while living aboard my Hunter 34 and it was very convenient and quiet.

Mike

Norris Johnson

I hooked up city water to my boat 4 years ago. Its been great, but like Mike said, CUT YOUR WATER OFF WHEN YOU LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a brass fitting at ACE that serves as an excess flow valve. In other words, you can disconnect the water hose with pressure on it. The excess flow valve is also a quick disconnect. If I was to have a hose blow off inside the boat, the EFV will cut the water off. It will not close with a slower leak, but that is so you can open your faucets without activating the EFV. The bilge pump should handle the slower leaks. I plan on installing another bilge pump a little higher than the original pump.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

sailon1

David,
I have just installed a city water hook up on my 1988 C34. It worked well installing Shurflo's flush mount water/regulator/inlet along side my dock side power hook up. which is like most on the outer port side of the cockpit. I purchased the gel coat finished one with the 50psi regulator. It wasn't too much of a problem running it through the port side cockpit locker. It worked out real nice when I added a tee and valve for flushing the raw water side of the engine. But remember what everyone else has said, don't leave it on when you are gone.

Ron Hill

David : The guys are correct - the city water pressure can be a killer.  So turn it off when you're not on board.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

Thanks all.  I had a city water hook up on my last boat so I know that shuting off the water when leaving the boat is a MUST.  I am concerned about where to put the hook-up/regulator but it looks like the only place on a new C-34 is on the stern starboard side just above and to the side of the seat on the swim platform.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707