companion way

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Savinell

The tracks at the two sides and under the companionway sliding hatch collect water that moves forward instead of draining to the aft.  Therefore, after a rain, when I move the hatch forward water tends to spill into the boat.  It seems to me that there is a design flaw and that a slope should allow water to flow aft and not collect inside and under the deck over the companion way hatch.  Has anyone else encounter this problem, and is there a fix.  My "new" boat is a 1996 C34, hull number 1312.

thanks.

bob s

John Langford

Is your boat on the land and possibly tilted forward a tad? If not, I recommend a dodger.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Robert Savinell

It is on land, but tilted back so water in the cockpit drains aft.  The same problem occurs when the boat is in the water.  When I step on the boat, especially near the back, the water will flow back.

thanks.

bob s

Roc

Bob, could there be something lodged inside that could interrupt the normal drainage, but when the hatch slides, water then comes out??
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Fuzzy

Bob:
Could you have too much weight in the front of the boat, such as
heavy anchor(s), chain, etc??
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Mike Vaccaro

Bob,

It's due to the design of the sliding hatch.  If there is a great deal of water present (heavy rain or seawater), it will collect in the hatch slide.  If you pull the hatch back quickly, the edge will work like a squeegee and you'll end up with water in the cabin (usually via your head if you're standing under the hatch!).  The trick is to slide the hatch aft SLOWLY to allow the water to drain as you pull it aft.

If you ever get the opportunity to remove the hatch, you can file the forward edge a bit to allow a slightly larger path for the water to drain forward.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Robert Savinell

Sounds like this may be just a bad design, or a fabrication error on some of the vessels.  I will post when I think of a simple (?) fix.

bob s